In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Thats the way it was at the old cottage. There was never a base put down; only gravel on top.

By rights, the ground should be removed and then the base of pit run put down to be finished with the crushed on topcoat.

2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

BB, husband thinks of your trusses are 24" apart you're pretty safe. Would be worth my time to peek in the attic and look for peace of mind :)

3. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Well, it's a good thing to have the driveway done for what the future brings (garage, etc) but, I'm sure you could park wherever you wanted to along its length.

It's too fancy inside for me and too expensive for my wallet, but I do like the exterior.

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

No offense intended, but... And don't get me wrong, it looks very nice, but.... Some things are laid out better than other things.

When you park it should be directly by a door for the sake of convenience, no? There may be a door in that bump out along the driveway, but if it is, looks like it leads straight into the basement.

Just thinking of carrying in groceries/other purchases once the car is parked. :handshake:

5. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Yay! I get to keep my sticker!
    [​IMG]

On my way to get her Majesty some clams for clam chowder, I spied a blow down left on the side of the road.
    [​IMG]

As it was cut at “whatever” lengths by street crew, I had to run home and get the MS362.
    The chunks were too heavy for my old butt to hoss over the guard rail and playing grabass with traffic coming around that inside curve.
    But I knew in order to keep my sticker as a firewood hoarder I had to step up.
    Start of 2026 hoard right there!
    [​IMG]

damm, them chunks seem heavier this year…
    Lenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

shoveling snow....:picard: it makes mowing and raking seem fun. :rofl: :lol:

point taken. I guess I always thought of sculpting the ground as landscaping, and the items you mention as "fancy" landscaping. Except trees, I do love trees. No offense meant nor taken,

Well, in the city here, the oldest part is row houses which sit right on the sidewalk, and in the rural areas the oldest houses come from a time when the common folk would use any suitable ground as family farmland and wouldn't have the time nor resources to make their front yard overly fancy. (I just read a local book written by an older man, describing his childhood and the lifestyle at that time, and despite history classes in school and conversations with older people, I'd never heard nor read such a direct and focused account of the subject, and it really makes one appreciate just how hard most people had to work back then just to survive, here and no doubt many other places. It was as that man, now in his 80s, reached his teen years and young adult years that NL began to "modernize" in that manner, so it won't be long before there are very few to no living people remaining who can recall that time period first hand. However, I digress..

So yes, I guess it is traditional and perhaps still more common here to have very little or fairly basic landscaping, but the houses which do have fancier walkways, ornamentation, and so forth, tend to be also built to more expensive, or otherwise different tastes than mine, and/or located in suburban type neighborhoods, which probably makes me overlook many of them. Exceptions to every rule of course.

Now, speaking of asphalt driveways, i have recently taken notice of some paved driveways, on a gravel road. Now that does look kinda funny. Usually the other way around if anything.

7. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I see your point. Yes, I think there is a basement door there.
    But, I don't think turning a corner to park behind the house is any great inconvenience, and if it is, then it's not the end of the world to put in a door :cheers:

But, mom's house has a walkway to the parking lot shared by dozens of houses, and at my house I park maybe 200' from my door because my car won't safely make it to the house, and doing the groundwork to change that is still further down my list of priorities yet. So, I've been used to carrying things for a long time.

8. Horkn

Horkn

Nice work! Don't let a few heavy rounds stop you from hoarding.;)

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Maybe cut some of the bigger rounds a little shorter to lighten them up?

10. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

I'd love to get my hands on this house, located in the beautiful community of Chapel Arm. I've been eyeing it a long time, and I really like it. If I could have that big garage too, that'd be a bonus. I don't think they actually belong to each other, but that garage looks very useful. And if the property line goes back through the trees a fair distance, oh the fun I'd have with those woods.

Shingles are actually in fairly good shape and the siding and soffit aren't really all that old either. Bottom course of siding is pulled off in one corner. Only the skirting really looks rough. Windows might be boarded up but I'm guessing that the house is probably quite solid for the most part. It's a cute little house. Wouldn't cost all that much to put all new siding, roof, doors and windows on it, then make the inside a cozy place one weekend at a time. Even if you put a new foundation under it, it wouldnt cost that much really, and you could get a nice level crawl space no trouble. It'd be quite economical to heat too.

If its a case of someone who has plans for it but just doesn't have the money right now, I wish them luck, but if its just abandoned, I hope someone else can get it and make use of it. If it was for sale for a reasonable price I'd be very tempted to try to get it. There are relatively few houses that I look at without envisioning drastic design changes, but rather just new finish work if I did own it (even the house i have now, id have completely rebuilt the roof if I had the money when i did the shingles), but this little house is one of them.

DSCF4084.JPG DSCF4086.JPG DSCF4087.JPG Screenshot_20230130_070532_Gallery.jpg

11. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine! This morning is going to be finishing cleanup from yesterday’s snow. We probably received 6-7”. I was able to do about half the plowing when I got home from work last night. So I’ll run up to my Mom’s first this morning and make sure she is cleaned out well. Then come home and finish ours. After ours is done it will be time to move some firewood into the basement. The Wood Gun has been cruising through some firewood lately with the colder temperatures. By the time I finish all shoveling and moving firewood I’ll be ready for a resting break!

12. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

First cup here also. I cut up another pallet for kindling yesterday so had quite a pile of the 2x4 runners full of nails. So after cleaning out the shop stove I burnt them. I’ve never did that so going to burn up the remainder today and then clean out the ash pan with the nails in it.
    This batch won’t go on the garden.
    Unload the scrounge from yesterday evening.
    From then on I’m not sure. Ground still hasn’t froze solid enough to get out on the yard to the wood lot area.

13. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Ever pass a magnetic pickup tool through the ashes?

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It will freeze this week!!

15. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Went back to bed. With the texass to Ohio valley ice/ snow/ rain forecast, I’ll leave Wednesday.
    1A6726FC-DE61-4E6A-9EEF-0FB429B945EE.jpeg

16. yooperdave

yooperdave

We've both had a lot worse than that......get out of bed and get something done! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

[​IMG]

17. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

That’s what I was thinking. I have one of the super magnets for magnet fishing I bought on a whim. Dump em out on the ground and run it over them.

18. Warner

Warner

Anytime I burn anything with nails the ashes get dumped in a spot where they cannot be run over. Too many tires rolling around here to take the chance of missing a couple and getting a flat.

19. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

at least I got up….

we had breakfast and coffee…

A8601146-5980-49F1-9408-685B6B651D1D.jpeg

20. lukem

lukem

Roads are bad here today. I just had to rescue my neighbor who go stuck halfway up the hill down the road.