In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Today's the day....... first fire!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Eckie, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I usually have about 1-1/2 hours invested from a cold stove until walk away time.

2. Eckie

Eckie

Ok, that seems to be inline with what I'm experiencing. I think I could shave some time if I use some smaller splits after the kindling to help build up the heat and coals a bit faster. And also if I don't try to rush it as much, I would probably pick up some time due to not having to go back and forth on door open/ latched for air and primary air control.

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. Eckie

Eckie

So, you have to have the door closed to engage the cat lever, but you don't have to have the door latched down, yhere is a bit of 'play'. I have had times where I engaged the cat, but had to work the door latch towards being 'open to allow just that little bit of air to help gain the fire backto help sustainment, then work towards latching down. Is there any harm in doing this? Obviously I don't mean leaving it like that, it's just for a bit.

Nitrodave and brenndatomu like this.
  4. oldspark

oldspark

I dont think it hurts anything but if engaged at correct flue temp and wood and draft is good you shouldn't have to do that.

Eckie and brenndatomu like this.
  5. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

It is hard to not rush to close down the draft… it’s like climbing a hill… quicker to make a good run at it… rather than trying to sneak up it.

brenndatomu likes this.
  6. smopuim86

smopuim86

With my Ideal Steel I find anything to get the top of the pile burning faster saves time. It isn't ready to cruise till the fire has migrated to the top.

When you have time to play, try a reload pulling all the coals toward the front, putting your big chunks in the back on the bottom and tossing the smaller kindling against the front of the pile and on top. See if that allows the fire to migrate against the secondary burn plate quicker. I'm making an assumption that the air flow of the AS is the same as the IS just with side vs front door.

Eckie and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Why I keep stove running put 4 inches of red hot coals in it and 30-45 minutes at most

Eckie likes this.
  8. Eckie

Eckie

Had good coals this afternoon when i got home, put a couple of small splits in, thinking that would be enough to ensure good coals to reload tonight. Took longer than I thought it would tonight to get set. I'll probably only load a few pieces in the am, and let it cool down so I can clean the glass again tomorrow afternoon/ evening.

I can definitely see that it's much easier to get back up and going from good coals and a warm stove. But between room size, house layout and air movement, and it not being very cold here right now, I really don't need to be running it but so much.

Looks like some colder temps forecast around the first weekend of February, so then it'll probably feel quite nice. I do feel like I'm starting to get a better handle on the timing of things, and how not to rush trying to close the stove too soon.....

MikeInMa, theburtman and brenndatomu like this.
  9. Eckie

Eckie

Thanks, I will try this sometime. Wonder if having the coals near the glass will help it stay cleaner?

brenndatomu likes this.
  10. oldspark

oldspark

You must be running your stove a lot cooler then I do, all i get is the haze.

11. Eckie

Eckie

Probably am.... Not that cold here now, and 20x20ish room with one door to rest of house. So that room is plenty warm. Right now I'm running the stove because it's new, and I'm trying to figure
    it out...more thanp cause we really need to.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

If I kept my stove burning all the time with a 4” coal bed, my neighbors would be warm…. :rofl: :lol:

13. Eckie

Eckie

Hahahaha....yep! Until my heat stroke....and then they'd cool off due to my incapacitation and therefore lack of wood stove use.

14. Eckie

Eckie

Enough coals this am, few small splits and a bit of kindling...now some chunkies rolling. This starting a warm stove with hot coals is the bees knees!

I could really use some of them nasty fuzzy elm or, dare I say sweet gum, splits right now.

brenndatomu and theburtman like this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

:eek: :faint:

:rofl: :lol:

Good to hear you are starting to get the hang of it a little...and I feel your pain on the "too big" heater...my VF100 wood furnace is a bit on the big side for our house with the winters we get these days, so I am always trying to find better ways to make it work well with low heat load...I burn plenty of "junk" wood...I usually get lots of Boxelder from cleaning things up at work, wish I had some right now actually.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    theburtman and Eckie like this.
  16. Eckie

Eckie

Yes, it pains me to say sweet gum. But, fuzzy wood would be great for me right now......

I meant to say earlier.... I've seen various people mention stt's of 600-650 being normal. o_O o_O I'm thinking holy snikey batman. Not that I'm trusting these stove top thermos, but highest I've seen is around 450. And thought things were melting...... :rofl: :lol:

theburtman and brenndatomu like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Get a lawn chair, fill a kiddy pool put on some Jimmy buffet music and a have beach party in January. I have done it … I gots to think of everything

18. oldspark

oldspark

Ok i feel your pain, at times my IS is too much for 2000 sq ft, cant imagine a 20 x 20 room . Hard to load it for a overnight burn without overheating the area the size of your room. Sometimes i dont worry about coals in the morning and start a fire from scratch, that may interfere with your morning routine before work.

brenndatomu and Eckie like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I find that ironic as my IS is in my 20 x 2o living room. I think my center double stairway acts as a cold air return

brenndatomu and Eckie like this.
  20. Eckie

Eckie

Is it an open floorplan, or multiple doors/avenues for the air to move?

The room size isn't my total problem....it's the limited pathways into the rest of the house....