In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Finally getting some stone work done

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Bret Hart, Sep 2, 2014.

  1. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    Only been a few years waiting or rather too busy or broke to get this done. I am definitely not a stone mason and I now know why they call a wet saw, a wet saw. At least we won't have to look a the cement board much longer.

    20140901_181852.jpg
    20140901_182005.jpg
     
    savemoney, BrianK, fox9988 and 12 others like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    What kind of stone is that, looks awesome. And where can I get some?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Nice job Bret. Gonna be a nice corner home for the stove.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  5. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That's a nice looking corner you have there. Bret, your stove clearances. Are they setup for a combustible wall? What kind of stove are you running?
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    I built the hearth with some bit of overkill on clearance. Found the info in the VC0028 manual and copied a set up that was built to code from the other site.
     
  7. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    Nothing wrong with a little "overkill"....lol

    Looking great, Bret! You know how near and dear I am to stone masonry, if I was closer I'd come and help you out! Keep us posted that's going to be a favorite hangout in the house!
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Its starting to look great!

    The locktite..... I may do something similar (someday) will it hold up to the heat?
     
  9. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That was my concern too. If he has the combustible clearances he should be ok.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
  12. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY

    Once it gets even slightly cold out it will be for the fiance and kids. I refer to them as the frozen family because they're always cold. Summer time they will sit in the house wrapped in a blanket because the AC is on and winter time they all huddle around the stove. At least they won't be reading USG Durock, Cement Board, Next Gen, Strength beneath the surface. I've read it so much I almost have it memorized. Can't seem to remember the date and time code though.
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,179
    Location:
    Central MI
    Looks like that will be really great Bret. Thanks for the info on the locktite stuff.
     
  14. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    It's lookin good bret! I like your stone choice
     
    concretegrazer likes this.
  15. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Looks great...
     
  16. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    Good looking work!
     
  17. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    Thanks everyone. Made a little progress.

    20140904_192212.jpg
     
  18. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,547
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
  19. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    eatonpcat likes this.
  20. Bret Hart

    Bret Hart

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,061
    Likes Received:
    3,817
    Location:
    Central NY
    Well, I'm out of stone until the weekend. Cut my estimate a little too close. One more box and some good luck with the angle cuts needed to finish it up and then on to the next project. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it may be painting the ceiling and walls because the Warden thinks we need to brighten the room up a bit now.

    Sorry about the blurry pic. Need to figure the camera out in my new phone.

    20140908_184916.jpg