In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood tractors

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by D2082, Mar 1, 2015.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Our wood puller 1227221315_HDR.jpg
    1227221124_HDR.jpg
    :thumbs::thumbs::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
    Just kidding...the loggers were here.

Ours is more modest. '06 'Bota 3130 1018221223a.jpg
    And 7x12 Big Tex dump trailer 1018221706_HDR.jpg

2. morningwood

morningwood

I had a John Deere 770, I did things with that tractor that I shouldn't have ( carrying too big of round bales ) and it never gave me a drop of problems. I called a JD dealership before I bought it they told me they sold them and never saw them again. That 770 is the reason I bought a Yanmar. Plus there are some other things that I like about the Yanmar over some other brands.

Yep, I always run it in low in the woods or trail riding with the rear end locked up. I've read too many stories about folks running them hard in low in turf mode and blowing the rear end out. It does have a two year warranty on it since I bought it through their farm program, most manufacturers are six months. So I guess that does say something.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  3. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

MW, if your Ranger has the reverse chain, treat it very very gently in reverse, if moving/carrying a load in reverse, DO NOT SHOCK LOAD IT. If it is the new pinion reverse gear transmission, disregard. 10 MPH and under should be driven in low, turf mode should only be used to turn on your lawn without tearing it up. After the second $3500 transmission in my Ranger, I opted to swap in a RZR Highlifter with the solid spool (no turf mode) and larger reverse chain.

4. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Oh and didn’t someone say something about tracks??? You can’t get back here without tracks, or it’s a 3 hour winch a thon…. D828502B-5BC0-4118-8B3C-36CDF5A1AF8B.jpeg DEB7847C-E5C2-4665-B409-A96B9BCD5E8E.jpeg 7669E0C1-7579-4B41-A795-3FA7CCC982D4.jpeg

5. morningwood

morningwood

It's a 2021 model, so it should have the newer pinion reverse gear transmission.

Yep, I've read about folks blowing out turf mode when riding the H&M trails in WV. I generally only use turf mode in high gear of when I'm "put zing" around in low gear in a pasture or something like that. Outside of that, the rear end is locked up. My dealer said under 20MPH use low gear ( guess the newer ones are geared to go a higher speed in low ) and anything over 20MPH use high gear.

6. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

My 900 is geared lower for sure, probably the difference in speed range for Hi or Lo operation. There is a chain and pinion version for 2021, I think they are all pinion in 2023 and later. (I’m looking at a 2022 IPL and they are still listing one transmission with a chain and one without.) Only reason I investigated this so deeply is I’m into Polaris for $7k in a crappy design. The first grenade was right foot powered by Miller Lite. The second was simply reversing in mud and snap went the chain. I am upgrading machines and I am faced with going the Polaris Ranger route or the Can Am Defender route. I was dismissing the Polaris early until I found the redesign in the transmission. Either way I go they will both have full cab, heat and ac and tracks.

Screwloose, T.Jeff Veal and eatonpcat like this.
  7. Lehman

Lehman

I have friends at work that run can am and not really sure they’re much different, all of these guys are coming fromHonda and Yamaha. They went to can am for power and the ride, few of them looked at
    Polaris until people were telling them how bad they were. Well after frequent trips to the shop with
    Clutch, belt and transmission issues to go along with the occasional coolant and oil leaks they said they’ll never say they’re better than the polaris they were told not to buy. In fact a couple are trying rzr or rangers next.

Screwloose, Horkn, Mrxlh and 2 others like this.
  8. morningwood

morningwood

Mine is a 1000XP, I read about the chain issues before I bought the machine and they said they were fixed in 2021 for the XP lineup. Please see below:

Thoughts On The 2021 Polaris Ranger Lineup - under the The 2021 Polaris Ranger XP Series they talk about it.

Was down in WV over the summer and was turning around on a very narrow trail and almost ended up driving off the mountain ( long story ) and I threw it in reverse and matted it, if it didn't break then it's definitely not going to break.

The same dealer I bought my Ranger from sells Can-Am also. I drove a Defender and thought the only thing that really separated it from the Ranger XP was hill decent control. You can get that with the Trail Boss edition Ranger. The dash, and the interior layout are better on the Ranger IMHO. You also can't beat the accessories selection for a Ranger. As much as I ride in WV I wish I would of gotten the Trail Boss edition. Oh well, live and learn. The other thing that turned me off about Can-Am was reading about all of the Viso-4lok issues, again, that might be a thing of the past. I know a guy who has 10k miles on a Can-AM ATV and he's had zero Visco lok issues. Could of been lack of maintenance from the folks who were having issues, who knows.

If you are looking at a machine with heat and ac etc then you are probably looking at a NorthStar Edition, those are nice. I looked a few of them when I was at the dealership getting my free oil change. I added heat, and doors to my XP for about $1500 a few months after I bought it. No AC, I have a tilt out window.

My first pick was a Honda Pioneer, but when I was looking at machines I was told that it was a six month wait. I've had multiple Honda vehicles and have very few problems with them. Concerning brands, I think it's throw a coin in the air. They all have their problems, you just need to pick your poison and live with it. If I ever got a true non-turbo sport machine it would be a KRX from Kawasaki.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  9. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Thanks for the link Morningwood, honestly it comes down to what is available when I’m ready to pull the trigger. I have a friend who owns a Can Am/Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Kawasaki Dealership, and there are about 4 more closer to me than him that sell Polaris or Can Am or both. When I custom build them the way I want, they are $800 difference? I’ve been Polaris since 2013, since I have stopped mud riding, I have had zero issues. In OK we can add a street legal kit and tag them. So most likely it will see road more than trails until I retire. Then it will stay mostly in WI for trail riding and use at our second home during retirement.

T.Jeff Veal, Horkn and morningwood like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

This. If you beat the living hell out of it, it might not do so well, but when in doubt, put it in low and it will be all good. Their track record is actually very good, better than most really, but all it takes is those that don't know how to maintain or properly use their machine to complain on the internet. You'll find that fit the most part people only write reviews when something doesn't go as they want, then they complain, but rarely do those that have good experiences write about them.

fuelrod, T.Jeff Veal and Lehman like this.
  11. Lehman

Lehman

The new non turbo sport machine I’d like is the 2000cc rzr, 225hp and electronic limited to 90 mph

Horkn and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  12. Lehman

Lehman

I always tell people if polaris has so many problems all the time why do people keep going back to them? You don’t sell as many side by sides and atv’s as them and not have repeat buyers. And with any brand most of the problems are self inflicted and a lot has to do with mud and water.

Horkn, morningwood and Mrxlh like this.
  13. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

Because they are innovative, and Polaris is the small block Chevy of SXS, most everything fits everything. Honda was drug kicking and screaming into the SXS market and most likely won’t change anything for 10 plus years. I work with a guy who was the Service Manager of a Honda/Polaris dealer, Polaris repairs (warranty and non warranty) is what kept the doors open. Honda Corporate said they could care less if the sell 1 Pioneer to 15 Rangers, it’s not their core business unit. After my 3rd Ranger transmission, I am still looking at purchasing a Polaris, they are easier to work on than the Can Am’s. I have worked on quite a few other brands, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Cat, Suzuki, and Can Am. None are as easy to work on trailside as a Polaris period.

Horkn, T.Jeff Veal and morningwood like this.
  14. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

I’ll add that the only “true players” as far as innovation go in SXS, are Polaris and Can Am, everyone else is pretending or following.

15. Lehman

Lehman

100% the truth, yeah John Deere had the gator prior to the first ranger but that’s the one that started it all. Back in that time my uncle actually did a fair amount of machine work for the Ranger prototype. He told me about it over a year before it was announced.

Horkn and Mrxlh like this.
  16. Mrxlh

Mrxlh

The Yamaha Rhino was the first true modern SXS, but like the rest of the Japanese players, it just isn’t their core business line. Turbo Mav’s and Turbo RZR’s were coming to market when Yamaha was just releasing the 700CC Wolverine….

There, derailment complete….

Horkn likes this.
  17. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I think you can make the argument they are all following the Kawasaki mule really. If you wanted to get really nit picky you could say they listened to the folks who loved the Honda odyssey but wanted to bring a friend along, but I get what your saying.

fuelrod, Horkn, Ron T and 2 others like this.
  18. morningwood

morningwood

My buddy priced one out, and it was 52k. If I hit the lotto, no problem. With my current income I'll stick with a 19K KRX. Around here there isn't really any place that you can use that kind of HP, a machine with that much HP is made for sand dunes.

Old video but this guy does an excellent job comparing the brands. Shock Therapy is a very well known aftermarket company so I trust his opinion. He does mention how it took Honda ten years to develop the Talon and by that time it was already outdated.

eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  19. Lehman

Lehman

No idea where that 52k was they don’t go that high on polaris’ site. Like 37,000more basic model without all the shock settings ect. The top line started at 41,000 and I know that’s extremely expensive but still must have had lots of add ons. What he was quoted is the cost of my 2021 f-150 crew cab xlt

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    eatonpcat and Horkn like this.
  20. Lehman

Lehman

I want a ranger but am a bit cheap on certain things and probably will end up with a 570sp Northstar when the time comes but we’ll see. I also could buy a gravely side by side through where my wife works and it’s just a rebranded ranger hd. Just like the bobcat standard style side by side was a polaris.