In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I caught a 5 am flight yesterday to be with family for Thanksgiving. My first flight ws to be to Baltimore, where I was to stay on the plane for the next leg to St. Louis, then catch a flight to ICT. Shortly before landing in Baltimore, they made the announcement that the 4 people who were supposed to go to St.Louis were getting kicked off the plane and catch another plane instead. Okay, made that connection but wondered how myu luggage was fairing.

Guess what, no luggage when I got to ICT. PERFECT. When I made my claim, the guy said it was still in Baltimore in one of those trailers. Just sitting there on the tarmac. Even better news, it wouldn't make it to ICT until about 11 pm. When I asked about reimbursment for going out to buy toiletries he provided a bag of said stuff and said anything else I needed they would reimburse me for (like cleaner for my contacts). Said they could deliver the bag sometime tomorrow (today) and they would give me a 4 hour window.

Well, that didn't work for me so I asked about picking it up myself. Hu, they would give me $100 voucher when I picked it up. Okay, that is cool. Stopped at Wally World on the way to my folks' house and picked up contact cleaner, socks and tennis shoes (I wore my snow boots on the plane as easy on, easy off footwear). I needed new shoes anyway, and socks are always useful, so won't give them the bill for those. I had an extra shirt, underclothes, saline (which I have to have special stuff only available online), and my bifocals in my carry on, so at least I was good there.

Later got to the motel and they gave me the key cards. I could get into the building (outside doors are locked at all times), but would ot let me in my room. So I trudged downstairs to have the keys reprogrammed. Finally, I got to put down my armload of stuff.

They called me at 12:30 this morning to let me know my bag made it. But since I don't drive at night, I will pick it up later this morning. Good times.

Dok440, Horkn, Ohio and 10 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Some days go like this. lol I was at the Baltimore airport twice. I was not impressed and had a big problem one time.

I wish you well on your visit.

bogieb, eatonpcat, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sorry for your trouble bogieb . When you get time, watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Again. You need to laugh after that happens.

4. theburtman

theburtman

We had to spend the night in Detroit airport once due to a late arrival of our flight and missing our connection. You know those plastic dust pans with long handles used in public places. Very noisy at 2am

5. Gasifier

Gasifier

Caffeine and a light breakfast in. Lighter weight work today. Hope you hoarders have a good day. Stay safe.

6. lukem

lukem

Working 1/2 day then I'm off until Monday. Hoping to make some firewood and get back out deer hunting a few times.

7. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Happy belated BDay!

Delivered another partial trailer of wood to my son yesterday and bought a piece to hopefully fix his leaking stove pipe. When we took the existing pipe apart, :jaw:. They were told it was cleaned before buying the house. I'm going to start a new thread for advise. Masonry chimney and it did not have a liner.
    3D804132-0EF9-48A0-9FD8-EFCB698BD81D.jpeg

'17 Ford Escape coming in for a blow-and-go today. One of my least favorite to work on. Entire glovebox needs removed. :doh:

8. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Zang thats a little creosote .... Good luck on the install sounds like a pain...

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I told them both they were very lucky they didn't have a fire in there! Unreal.

10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wow, no doubt! That could have been a real house burner there! Any going back on the former owner for the cleaning?

11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

They reached out to the real estate guy about it. I'm not sure what will come from doing so. It was a lesson in why you don't burn wood that isn't properly seasoned.

So PO had single wall black up to a 90, then that double wall black pictured just stuffed in the thimble into the flue. It was dark so we didn’t have the chance to get up on the roof or ladder and look down to see if the masonry part was cleaned. This is looking into the end that was inserted.
    C4042E6F-C62F-4B38-9192-7C15E0F89F47.jpeg 8719FE10-87AB-416D-8210-4C4926AAC956.jpeg

I kept telling them both how glad I was that we caught that before it potentially burned their house down. I could see all the wind go out of Andrews sails when he saw it. They don’t have the extra money right now to make it right. This season is shot and they were hoping to save on the HHO bill. I’ll have to see what’s needed and if we can help them out.
    Was the double wall black going in there proper or should I advise double wall insulated? It would only need about a 24” piece.

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Start a thread; The Wood Wolverine there are through the wall thimble that would take care of that.

single wall through structure without creosote is scary enough!

13. Warner

Warner

That glove box removal is a big PIA. Used to have to do it to install remote starts.

14. lukem

lukem

When I moved in to this place there was a wood stove in the basement. It had single wall stove pipe going through a wood panel wall with 2" clearance into a masonry chimney shared with a propane furnace and propane water heater. I knew the chimney was all kinds of wrong and never lit it. The previous owner said he had only lit the stove 10-15 times and, based on the condition of the stove and firebrick, I believed him.

When I moved the stove the pipe looked exactly like this...almost 100% plugged. Being that close to a combustible wall it's a miracle this place is still standing.

15. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

A belated Happy Birthday, Eric VW

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thank you Al :handshake::)

17. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Now that is downright scary. They are so lucky you did an inspection.

18. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Happy birthday

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thank you Jason!
    :handshake: :salute:

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thank you Jill!
    :)
    :handshake: