In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

end coating?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Woodscrounger, Aug 29, 2014.

  1. Woodscrounger

    Woodscrounger

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2014
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    199
    Location:
    Milford, IN
    What do you guys use to coat the ends of freshly milled hardwoods? Is it a special paint or stain? Or do you not use anything?
     
  2. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I want to say it's wax, keeps the boards from checking
     
  3. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Yep, wax works fine, Canning section of grocery store or farm store, then there are various speciality items as well- digs deeper in pocket
     
  4. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Enamel spary paint works.
    Just about any spray paint helps.
    No coating is totally air/water tight on wood,
    it slows down the drying rate to help prevent the ends from splitting.
     
  5. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    I was told to use old latex paint....slop it on the ends of the boards....
     
  6. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I suppose anything like paint or wax will work to help stop the checking
     
    Scotty Overkill likes this.
  7. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I believe the stuff that's sold as green log end sealer is some combination of wax and paint. I picked some up from Rockler and I've had pretty good results so far. These had been sitting about a month when I took the pic.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Are you going to mill those logs Shawn?
     
  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    The one with the end sealer on it. The rest are going to be firewood. It's black locust, which holds up really well outdoors. I want to redo a park bench or two that I have with it.

    It's small enough that I think I'm going to try to mill it on my vertical bandsaw. I built a couple roller tables for that purpose a few months back, but I've never done anything that big. That will be the real test for it.
     
    My IS heats my home likes this.