In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sassy Tuesday morning score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Chud, Aug 16, 2022.

  1. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,256
    Likes Received:
    54,067
    Location:
    NC
    A bird’s eye view of today’s haul
    37472DBA-7E83-4C95-AC0E-6DA66840EE69.jpeg
     
  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,850
    Likes Received:
    114,799
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I've cut sassafras before. When dry, it's light in weight. Decent shoulder wood. I wouldn't pass on it.

    Nice score.
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    One of my favorite scents. I’ve had Sassafras tea once while backpacking through the green mountains. I should try that again.
     
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,256
    Likes Received:
    54,067
    Location:
    NC
    Scientifically proven that burning Sassafras improves your neighbors health.
    AF576147-E413-4E68-93D0-16F71D827DC1.jpeg
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Think I red somewhere that Sassafras tea is now considered not good for human consumption,,,,,,,probably an article from big pharma LOL
     
  6. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Huh? Granny drank it and made it for us for as long as she lived, which was well into her 90's. I call bs on that one.
     
  7. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,534
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
  8. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    I’ll admit I’m a bit of a skeptic. Did some quick research which originally led to more skepticism. I did find that Safrole is still used in Taiwan at levels higher than China will allow (most soda beverages) Also noticed liver cancer which Safrole is attributed to is the second highest cancer in Taiwan.
    Maybe I’ll abstain from the tea :)
     
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,534
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I think everyone needs to do their own research on subjects like this and make up their own mind. Fortunately I don't have a habit of drinking this kind of tea.
     
  10. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Agreed. I’d still drink it but won’t go out of my way to make it. The US studies are inconclusive IMO. Banned in the 70’s because of mice.
     
    FatBoy85, campinspecter and Woodwidow like this.
  11. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,850
    Likes Received:
    114,799
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I'll continue to enjoy the scent. I have zero interest in digesting and.
     
  12. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,256
    Likes Received:
    54,067
    Location:
    NC
    Tuesday Sassafras in rounds on Friday
    A037607D-29AA-431B-93B4-62BA4216931F.jpeg
     
  13. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,256
    Likes Received:
    54,067
    Location:
    NC
    The Sass splits
    56AFD7D4-D8B8-4BBF-AB50-C3846940C101.jpeg
     
  14. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,858
    Likes Received:
    121,434
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    We need smell-o-vision. :rofl: :lol:
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,766
    Likes Received:
    215,048
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    X2
     
  16. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    I can smell em,,,,yum.