Brought a load of cast iron to the scrapyard yesterday and first time i was sent directly to the pile to off load. Looks small from a distance but get close and theyre tall. The pile where the tractor trailers dump is HUGE. I had 900lbs from an old boiler and bathtub. And no im not scrapping my PU either.
There is a crusher near you Brad. 2 big green grapples grab whole.cars and drop them in a hopper that has to be 2 stories tall. Lotsa piles of scrap there. The shredded metal is loaded into open top gondola railcars, and shipped out via CSX. Pretty impressive operation.
Yup thats the yard. Normally i go to an area cordoned off for small peddlers and dump my load. Which is right next to that. I always stop and watch them PU the scrap (including whole cars) and drop into processor and watch the conveyor dropping shredded pieces into a mound. The non ferrous goes into the warehouse. I go every couple months. Friends/contractors know i scrap so i get it for "free".
I've been working 1000' west of that location this week. There are Osprey nests all over the place out there.
Yes sir. There are a lot of Osprey around. Also have some eagles that have been around there for years now , and the clean-up crew = Turkey Buzzards.
Yes. Right off exit 9. Sims metal management. That was the cast iron pile. The other piles you see are constantly being processed as loads are constantly coming in.
I have always loved trains ; still do. When my son was young we used to go down just behind PC Richard in town down there and he would watch them for hours. Very cool "big" toys.
Correct. It was what they referred to as a humpyard. I have explored all through that area. Still the remains of old structures and multiple rail lines. Cool to see and take in a little bit of history
Ill give you money to knock that kids drone out of the sky if you see him there. White 4 door, driven by his dad. There will be a few happy folks on my end.....one fellow used to throw stones at it, not sure if he had any luck though. One fellow told me there used to be 600 tracks there. Switching tracks, mains and runnarounds, customer tracks and leads. I believe it. There are a lot of old structures there, some flat out dangerous. I'd almost love to take a dirtbike tour of that yard. Sca
I grew up with it. Dad being a life time tradesperson would save copper and aluminum (two most common metals at the time in residential roofing at the time). Dad told a story of how bad things were in the great depression. They would find light bulbs at the dump and break them for the brass fitting to scrap. Dad was one of five kids and my grandmother was a widow. Never saved steel as it wasnt worth the effort until recent years.
When I said scrounging I meant going through the piles to bring things back with me!! Lots of diamonds in the rough in scrap yards. As for scrap I only save stainless and aluminum, probably a couple of tons of stainless chunks and chips in barrels out back. Steel we put out by the street along with pallets and they just disappear.
Very true. I was there one time and came home with a 5 gallon bucket of hole saws unused. Gotta be stealthy when doing such so they dont see you.