Ok, this is a little late but give me a break.......I've been mega busy all summer! Back in April we went to my son's Boy Scout Spring Camporee, one of the challenges of the weekend was such oven cooking. The boys attempted apple crisp and fried chicken, and while they didn't win, they DID place high which was good. The one evening we decided to give the dutch oven a go and use up leftovers we had. So we concocted a campfire lasagna. It consisted of left over penne noodles, spaghetti sauce, Capicola and pepperoni, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, garlic powder and oregano. There was three layers of the above ingredients to make the "lasagna". We built a pad on the one side of the firepit and commenced to making good coals with some oak splits. A spade full under the oven and right on top of the lid for the initial hit of heat, repeated that process three times and 40 minutes later we had a delicious dinner! Even made some garlic cheese toast out of leftover English muffins!! Pic of the makeshift "stove" pad. Used pre-warmed flat rocks on the ground, with a layer of good oak coals on top of the stones. Put the oven directly on those coals and covered the lid of the oven with another spade full of hot coals. This process was repeated with new hot coals three times. My son tending the cooking process... Time to check to see if it's ready.....The aroma was Heavenly! Time to eat! It was fantastic!
I've got to build a real cooking pit. I've got the metal t make my grate for food. I just need to get some blocks.
Naaaah...use stones and make a work of art. Easy, cheap and renewable........check out my keyhole pit design, several posts in the smokehouse. If you need them, I have dimensions on my laptop at home. I'll do a keyhole build thread soon....
Scotty, is your son like you? Enjoys the saws and tree work? How does he like the Boy Scouts>? My son didn't like the scouts so much but acts today like he was one, can't keep him indoors. Thanks for sharing your dutch oven lasagna, looks good
He's a LOT like me....but even more so like my grandfather. He's amazingly smart, knows the Lord and The Bible, and absolutely LOVES scouting. He's well on his way to eagle scout, already having locked down a lot of merits towards it.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather eat that lasagna before any 5 star restaurant meal. Everything cooked outside just seems to taste better. Good times right there.