In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tree planting anyone?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by SD Steve, May 27, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Maybe you cab transplant the basketball hoop to your new place? :whistle:

Cash Larue likes this.
  2. billb3

billb3

Can you Lyft a tree ?

Cash Larue likes this.
  3. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

My son and I transplanted this little Douglas Fir a month ago. It was growing too close to the house. I usually cut the close saplings down with my loppers. I took pity on this cute little guy. We moved it to a spot in a big clearing where I recently cut down some dead Aspens. I wasn’t sure if it would survive the move. But you can see the new buds that just popped up on it, so I think it will be okay. It will be cool to remind my son as he gets older that it’s our tree that we planted together. Maybe he will even tell his kids about it someday.
    829415A6-FC32-40B9-9A62-2AA35FEB591A.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Up until a short time passed, my father-in-law planted trees with this. He's retired and this and 2 more smaller spades could be purchased if you are so inclined.

20220706_190510.jpg

brenndatomu, billb3, SimonHS and 3 others like this.
  5. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Can larger trees be “dug out” with that and replanted? I’ve got some really beautiful trees that are in a bad spot, that I will need to cut down eventually. I wish I could just move them.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Take a pic with you both in it.

7. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Good idea!

brenndatomu and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

For when you both are older or when you are gone. Or an annual tradition to follow the growth of it.

9. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

That’s brilliant, bro. I’m totally gonna do that. The ancient Doug Firs here grow to well over 100 feet. It would be cool if my family documented that over the generations.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  10. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

It will move up to about 14" and diameter, depending on crown size.

brenndatomu and Cash Larue like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

When i was married (lasted four years) my ex would take a pic of me and her young son at the Christmas tree farm before we cut it down.

Three years ago, Asplundh was working in the area taking trees down by the wires. One house had these huge Eastern white pines that required climbing to take down. I had scrounged other wood there and the homeowner told me they were planted in the early 1900's. How cool if i could see pics from the era.

brenndatomu, Old Nate and Cash Larue like this.
  12. Old Nate

Old Nate

EC19C4C7-D45E-4A9A-B6C4-DAD0D5971951.jpeg
    I got this Honey Locust at Lowes for half price an already good deal. Going to plant it at the new place… hopefully it survives a month in the bucket till we put it in the ground!

brenndatomu, billb3, SimonHS and 4 others like this.
  13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

This mountain ash sprouted in the woods next door to me. The parent tree is in my neighbor’s yard 2 houses down, and I noticed my neighbor above me has a small one growing too. Seems the birds like the fruit and disperse them freely. Anyway, I dug this one up and planted it along my property line in good sun. I’m hoping it makes it as they are gorgeous trees IMO, especially when they’re loaded with fruit.
    C354047B-283B-450E-B8A9-DE2382EBA8D4.jpeg

brenndatomu, SimonHS, Chud and 3 others like this.
  14. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    The fruit can be used even though it is quite tart. Freezing helps sweeten it apparently. I was just reading up on it.

15. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Good to know, thanks. :) I noticed the trees are loaded heavily with fruit well into the winter.

campinspecter likes this.
  16. billb3

billb3

I've gotten pin oaks from Lowes, end of season for 6 bucks. Kinda homely looking and spindly trees but with a little extra support are now stately trees. Got 8 more years to go if they start producing acorns at 30 years.

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I am sure you will go to Google to find out more before harvesting the berries. Main recipes seem to be for jam or jelly. Not to be eaten raw apparently.

campinspecter and Cash Larue like this.
  18. Timberdog

Timberdog

I love (thornless) honey locust trees. They do well in my area too. I have planted two already and am going to plant one more. And if they ever die, hey it’s good firewood!

19. Alabamy chopper

Alabamy chopper

Great idea about checking out HD and LOW for trees.

Not that I have room until I take out a pecan and an old peach tree that is well past it's prime. My little 2 acre yard has 28 trees that I planted on it now, so I have to be choosy about what goes in the ground. (or off some of the bigger ones...) I probably have 15-20 pecans, 8-10 oaks, a few hickory and an assortment of yellow poplar, black cherry, hickory, sassafras, box elder, sweet gum, red maple plus others I haven't identified that will have to be moved around, or given away in the next couple of years.

The wife saw the county tree trimmers a few years ago, and asked if they wanted to dump their chips in our corner lot so they didn't have to drive them back to town. Well, I got home that night and saw around 26 tons of chips in the front yard... Mulched everything I could, and then pulled hand cart loads to the back garden about 200 feet away. I stopped counting at 750 loads... But, even a few years later the ground is still soft (for Alabama) and trees grow very well, either planted by me or by nature.

I'll have most of my firewood needs covered for a long time...

20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Another year of oak planting wasted. After stratifying about 100 white oak and 100 swamp white oak acorns, they all got dug up by squirrels in the past 24 hours. How oak trees didn’t go extinct millennia ago due to predation is beyond me. Last year was a mast year for the red oaks in my front yard. I lost count of how many 5 gallon buckets of acorns I scooped up and threw in the woods. Had to be tens of thousands of acorns. I thought for sure that would appease the tree rats. Nope, they needed more. I guess I’m done trying to plant oaks. On the other hand, the chestnuts I transplanted in the fall into their permanent spots have started to leaf out. Also last year’s black locust seedlings are starting to push out leaves, as well as my Osage orange. I’m keeping an eye on my one surviving black walnut and one swamp white oak sprig. I really hope they make it.