In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dead ash - onsite

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MikeInMa, Jun 3, 2022.

  1. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,840
    Likes Received:
    114,713
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Leaner, dead center. EAB is here, unfortunately.
    IMG_20220603_075741.jpg

    It leafed out last year. Nothing in the crown.
    IMG_20220603_075826.jpg

    Nothing but a couple of EWP in the way,, when it gets dropped.
    IMG_20220603_075846.jpg

    I'm in now hurry to get it down, unless I get an itchy trigger finger. :whistle:
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Any shoots coming off the main trunk? Last ditch effort to survive. Is that the only one Mike? Did the one by the firepit leaf out?
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,840
    Likes Received:
    114,713
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    The bigger one between the house and screenhouse, did leaf out. There are some branches that didn't, however.

    There's another one that died off, down hill, at the edge of the side street. Given the road and wires, I'm not going near it. Technically, it might be on town property, as they own a certain amount in from the road. My understanding, anyways.

    There are other ash trees around, but they're probably doomed. :(
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Call the town and maybe they will take down the one near the road. Of course they usually dont do anything until something falls down. I left one of the dead ones in my woods that i though may still be alive, but didnt leaf out. Not too many in the woods and all are dead. Been working them again earlier this month as i have rounds and logs still on the ground. :emb: Go figure! Wood to work on in my own woods, but i still scrounge! Thrill of the score i guess.
     
  5. Eckie

    Eckie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,721
    Likes Received:
    18,763
    Location:
    Virginia
    I don't know all the details, but there is something you can spray on the tree to help (im not sure what the chemical is or what it does...yeah, im real helpful, right?). At one time va dept of forestry had some kind of program (maybe cost share) to help treat ash. Point being you might could figure out what chemical to try to do what you could if the remaining met whatever criteria there may be, if you were so inclined.
     
  6. AnnieOakleaf

    AnnieOakleaf

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2021
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    301
    Location:
    Frankfort KY
    Today I had a gentleman from the KY Div of Forestry come out and look around my property.

    I have several dead/dying/down ash. I also have some that have good canopy. Even though they have noticeable signs of ash borer damage he told me that it looks like they'll survive and that for some reason they were able to overcome. He said they might send someone out to collect seed from them.

    Additionally he said that I should treat them. Any brand as long as it contains Imidacloprid.

    Hope that was helpful and hello! Long time listener. Love all your stories!
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,743
    Likes Received:
    214,872
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Welcome :handshake: and thanks for your input.
     
  8. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,840
    Likes Received:
    114,713
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Imidacloprid

    Got it. thanks!
     
  9. Cash Larue

    Cash Larue

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2019
    Messages:
    2,531
    Likes Received:
    21,012
    Location:
    Pine, CO
    I hear you about not being in a hurry to cut it down. I always hate when my favorite trees get sick. I always delay putting them down for a year or two... At least you can have it cremated!
     
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Gee Annie, you should get on here more often! Nice to see a post from you.
     
  11. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    Hey Annie, welcome to here.

    Mike, any chance a couple guys could get a line around the Ash by the road and pull it in if its not leaning too hard? Always trying to find a way.....its one of those you "might be a wood hoarder if" items.

    Sca
     
    Chaz, Backwoods Savage and MikeInMa like this.
  12. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,840
    Likes Received:
    114,713
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    It's a biggun that leans towards the street and wires. Thick trunk with spreading branches.

    Good idea, though.
     
    Chaz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    I've picked up buZZsaw's "wood snob" tendencies. I've turned down a couple scrounges because I'd have had to haul wood up a hill (risk 1) to a kinda busy street (risk 2) with zero place to park (last straw).
    And, I have easier scores at hand.

    I'd help a fellow hoarder with those risks at play.

    Sorry to hear of EAB in your area though.

    Sca
     
  14. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,009
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    We had at least 20 ash trees on our property in CT when we bought it back in 2001. We took a number down a few years later to open up the backyard. All the others have unfortunately died off from the EAB. It’s a shame; very good wood. Wonder if they’ll develop an Ash that’s resistant to the EAB.
     
  15. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,112
    Likes Received:
    163,178
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    From what I hear once you are starting to see trees failing, its too late, the bug has been around for a couple years already, and the damage is done.
    As far as treating them, people say its kind of expensive to treat more than just a couple trees...and if you aren't vigilant, the lil green monsters will win anyways.
     
  16. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Not an expert in ash trees at all. From what I’ve seen you can’t wait too long. They get quite dangerous to cut fairly rapidly.