In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Restocking the racks

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by BCB, May 16, 2022.

  1. BCB

    BCB

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,311
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Location:
    USA
    2 nice tree service scores a few weeks ago that delivered right to my front yard. Mix of oak, gum and maple. I'm about 2/3 of the way finished splitting and stacking and I'm estimating 3 cords between the 2 drop offs. All this wood is for the 2024 season and beyond.

    1 drop off was a FB marketplace lead (they were advertising chips, I asked about logs and they said they could drop some off to me when they were in my area, a week later I get a message saying they had some for me) and the 2nd was Chip Drop (2-3 month wait after putting in a request but a local company did respond and deliver).

    It's been about 3 years since I last did this much bucking and splitting. I wish I had a bigger yard for more lol.

    logs1.jpg logs2.jpg logs3.jpg
     
  2. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,092
    Likes Received:
    42,897
    Location:
    NJ
    Nice score minus the gum
     
  3. BCB

    BCB

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,311
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Location:
    USA
    Yeah it was part of the load, had to take all or nothing lol. Wasnt too bad to split, better than elm.
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,423
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    +1! The gum I've run into was, dare I say it, worse than the dreaded elm. But like you said, in that situation ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
     
  5. BuckeyeFootball

    BuckeyeFootball

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2020
    Messages:
    1,336
    Likes Received:
    9,116
    Location:
    Michigan
    Nice score. Obviously gum sucks to split but how does it stack up btu wise?
     
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    215,005
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I was thinking the same. Glad it split okay for you BCB :thumbs:
     
  7. BCB

    BCB

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,311
    Likes Received:
    6,765
    Location:
    USA
    20-21m btus per cord from what ive read but it burns quickly. This is good wood to mix with better hardwoods.

    I found it easier to split from the outside and work towards the center. Side sections would "pop" off along the grain then I would take those pieces and split them down the middle to make them narrower. The closer I got to the center the more twist I found in the grain. I guess it helped that the tree was only about 18" wide and I used a hydraulic splitter.

    I separated the gum from the maple in order to knock the gum out first since I knew it was going to be a PITA to split. The maple was a dream to split afterwards.

    I still have to split the oak. I plan on lining the back fence line with a single row of oak to help with drying. I have some 5 year split and stacked red oak that I burned this past winter that still hissed and foamed. That oak was stacked in three 8' rows like a standard cord. Going single row will help air flow.
     
    Ronaldo likes this.