In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Easy Oak Score.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, May 5, 2022.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I did tell buzz-saw but even cut in half we couldnt load the hard way. The smallest log was 22" and mill capacity is 20" so CSM would be in order. You shouldve seen us loading a BL log last Summer the same size cut to 5' lengths. Im pretty sure its a pin oak too so lots of tiny knots in it.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No. No easy way to get it to his house and his tractor is limited as to what he can PU. I keep joking for him to get a bigger mill and tractor, but it is a sweet set up for what it can do.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yes, but waiting for the hydro.
    Well i was hoarding at that cedar score which i still have to get back to. Need to figure where two loads of cedar poles will go. I honestly shouldnt have swung the isocore/sledge, but i couldnt lose out on this.
    How is the wrist doing? Doing any wooding at all?

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The wrist is still sore, but progressing.

The shoulder is more of a concern. Probable torn rotator cuff. It could heal on it's own. Time will tell.

Minor wooding. Wood yard maintenance, mostly. Hoping to get back to my SIL's and chunk up the big oak rounds there. There's a hydro splitter on site, that tilts vertical. :yes:

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hydro? Have you used one before? Will you just section to haul or split to stove size?

Same shoulder for the rotator cuff?

6. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Right wrist and shoulder. When I slipped on the black ice, my feet slipped out to the left. My right arm went out, wrist broke, elbow locked. The impact drove my upper arm up into my shoulder.

Never used hydro before. Size - TBD.

*** note to self, keep all fingers away from tensioned splits. :yes:

7. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

buZZsaw BRAD, I thought it looked like some kind of red oak, Pin Oak does have a lot of small branches coming off. It's interesting how the lower branches sag down, helps id them real quick when standing. Great score, hopefully you'll be able to score the rest of it also. Have you considered calling the utility company, in case they have to move it, and maybe they can just drop it off at your place. That would be sweet.

I might as well pile on also. :yes: :thumbs: :rofl: :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist)

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Cant have wood dropped at any of my locations. All me bringing it in.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Rain held off to just some light sprinkles so i stopped and grabbed the three other logs. IMG_0996.JPG Maybe next week ill tackle the big one.

10. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Very nice score, can't beat that for an easy score.

Does splitting with the isocore bug your thumb? With the anti vibration handle it has I wouldn't think it would hurt it, but would probably have to hold it a little differently.

I smashed my pointer finger on my left hand the other day between a 1/2 in drive brakerbar and a control arm changing out a serpentine belt and the stupid tensioner broke, whole finger tip and nail is bruised, thought to my self a little later " Well, probably still don't hurt as much as Brads did" :rofl: :lol:

11. B.Brown

B.Brown

Really nice score, looks like you hit the “jackpot” this time watch the thumb, don’t want to do anymore damage. Sorry for you IF you have a torn rotor cuff. Painful situation! Might have injured mine a long time ago, used to rotate my shoulder , lot of crunching going on so, just take it easy, tough to do for sure, you don’t want to mess anything else up!

12. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

As age creeps up, I am more willing to split onsite....no more hauling rounds for me. Period. I can afford to take my time onsite, if I can't get it all, oh well.
    Splitting on site also means the wood goes from trailer or truck to stack. No piles and re-piles.
    And my back is happy.
    Sca

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Youch! Ive done that plenty of times on multiple fingers mostly a hammer on my left thumb. Last time was with a swing stapler hitting the same thumb. I was working in a confined area installing insulation. Entire nail black and blue and it eventually fell off.

Ill take your injury over this any day! A few days of pain and then everyone in public asking what happened. I grossed out a couple cashiers the other day as it was uncovered.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was two handed until the moment of just before impact and i let go with my left hand. If i held on it made the thumb twitch a bit. I still cant put pressure on the thumbprint part of it...very light when i do. So used to favoring it now.

15. B.Brown

B.Brown

Now's the time to be very careful! Over confidence can really mess you up. Slow and easy, is the name of the new game now. Really watch it, continue to be careful and it'll heal up in its own time.

16. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Sweet logs and splits buZZsaw BRAD . Too bad buzz-saw won't spring for a larger mill, trailer, tractor and winch loader. What ever you do Brad, do not smack that thumb while it is still healing! You will have a new adventure in pain!:bug:

17. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Another enabler. Thanks for the help:rofl: :lol:
    Don’t think a larger mill hasn’t crossed my mind already

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have mentioned a larger tractor. He could skid that big oak log right to his house!

19. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Nice score! It’s funny to hear you say that you shy away from Oak due to dry time. That amount of Oak would be worth a fortune here. I’ve got 3 acres to dry all the green oak that you don’t want:handshake:

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Where this is stored its approximately 30'x 55' including room to store rounds and process. Ive revamped it this year to work better...hopefully. Cant recall...no oak there cash?

You have some ideal drying conditions if im not mistaken. No humidity there and a good wind? If i had three acres for wood storage, my hoarding "problem" would be a lot worse than it already is! :picard: :rofl: :lol: