In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Shindaiwa trimmer and a confused hack

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by cnice_37, Aug 22, 2014.

  1. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Buddy at work heard I tinker so he brought in his F20 trimmer in a bunch of pieces... He must think I also puzzles.... Which I do, but that isn't the point.

    This thing is older but appears well made so I'm digging in and seeing little problems for the most part until I pull the muff (or half of it) and see this.

    [​IMG]

    This looks to me like the wrist pin somehow isn't running perpendicular the the intake/exhaust. The piston looks a bit scored.

    Do they do things differently in Japan? :loco: :crazy:

    There are some tab things blocking the muffler studs, so I thought to research before I start digging to far into a parts trimmer.

    And for a random, but related question.... Are there generic grommets available? Or can I use permatex grey? The guy broke the grommet holding the primer feed to the tank.
     
  2. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC

    That's a new one for me too cnice. Hard to tell what they were thinking without having it in front of me. Shindy trimmers were nice units, at least all the ones I've come across.
     
  3. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Yes it seems nice.

    I was hoping you had some insight!! I guess I could check compression and see if its worth digging deeper.
     
  4. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I'd have a hard time not pulling the jug on that one to see what's up. After that compression check that is.
     
  5. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    The IPL clearly shows the arrow on piston, so it checks out.... Unless they do that different in Japan too?!

    [​IMG]
     
  6. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Wow, that bottom ring end is awfully close to the exhaust port too!
     
  7. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Im no pro... But id say something is twisted or bent or something crazy ! You have to pull the cylinder so we can see :). My family has had Shindaiwa trimmers forever... They are very good long lasting units. Good luck !
     
  8. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    It shows the wrist pin In line with the exhaust (piston arrow)? But that pin in your pic is not centered with the exhaust port?

    Hmmmm...???
     
  9. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    So the trimmer pops with gas down the plug hole. I actually can't measure compression because my tester goes too deep (a common problem of mine :rofl: :lol:)

    In any case, its got enough compression to run, its got spark, and it does NOT have gas.

    Gotta pull the carb and see if I can find a kit for it. The diaphragms were like cardboard.
     
  10. cnice_37

    cnice_37

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,211
    Likes Received:
    14,236
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Carb kit & success. Back to the original owner.

    I'm not one to ask for money but he wants to know "what I want." I'm thinking beer, a good seasonal perhaps. Just grabbed my first 12 pack of Sammy's Octoberfest which is always delicious.
     
    concretegrazer and basod like this.
  11. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    A side note on the compression tester threads going to deep. I use Teflon tape, several wraps when I run into this, just be sure to get it out of the threads when finished
     
    cnice_37 likes this.