In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash Score

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by LordOfTheFlies, Mar 17, 2022.

  1. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    You know when you get a new vehicle and you go for that after-dinner-drive-for-absolutely-no-reason-at-all? Well I went on one of those when I got my truck in Mar-2020 and screeched to a stop when I saw a ginormous spruce tree cut up into ginormous rounds just laying on the side of the road. I went back to the house the next day since it was dark and I wasn't going to be doing anything anyways......and the lady was ecstatic for me to take the wood.

    Fast forward almost exactly 2 years later I get a text from the same lady saying "Hey we have a bunch of wood if you want it" at a different house they just bought.

    Some nice looking ash that had some termite and EAB damage. One round I took home had a few termites spill out. Two cans of brake cleaner (at $3.75 each) later and they were all dead. Hopefully that did the trick.

    2022-03-16 10.42.02.jpg

    I left these rotted out rounds.

    2022-03-16 10.54.39.jpg

    And these two that I saw termites out of.

    2022-03-16 10.54.25.jpg

    2022-03-16 10.54.23.jpg
     
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,194
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good on the wood but not so good with termites.
     
  3. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Yeah it ended up being 3 truckloads full of wood and only the one piece I had at home that had some termites. I've had carpenter ants before and just drowned them with brake cleaner as well or burned them up with a torch. Knock on wood haven't had issues. It's raining here today which kind of stinks so it'll be harder to see if there were any stragglers left.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,784
    Likes Received:
    215,164
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats some nice looking wood there LOTF! Great score. I love getting calls from prior wood connections.

    I give ant and (rarely) termites the flame thrower treatment. The red cedar ive been splitting into kindling is laden with carpenter ants. Sometimes at the score ill drop the round onto the pavement to knock them loose.
     
  5. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,261
    Likes Received:
    54,116
    Location:
    NC
    I assumed once termites are exposed to light and deprived of moisture they die. I recently split some oak that was loaded with termites. They fall onto the splitter platform and get turned into juice.
     
    Ronaldo and LordOfTheFlies like this.