In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cigars??

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by reckless, May 31, 2014.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yes, I have kept all cigars regardless of size in the coolidor.

JimBear and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Speaking of cigars is it cigar - thirty yet? Been one of those days…

JimBear and yooperdave like this.
  3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

JimBear ....

I have read up to page 11 of this thread. I’ll dive in here & ask some questions :

If a fella was to order some stogies should they be put in the freezer straight away to take care of any potential beetles them moved to a cooler or humidor? I've read this before never tried it and knocking on wood... never had a issue

Along the same lines should any stogies just be stored for a long period of time to season them or just try them out straight away ? I let mine "sleep" in the humidor to rest for a couple of weeks. So they basically get rehumified doing this time. Travel can be interesting on them, depending on the season of ordering.

How does storing them over a long period of time affect the tobacco? "suppose" to get better kinda of like wine. But some do get noticeably better other maintain. Mainthing Moisture correct and temperature maintained.... I keep mine in the basement.

I would imagine that I would be more of a cigarillos type of guy. Cohiba's are pretty good Cohiba Black Pequenos (Cigarillos)

I find this thread fascinating & educational, I like the smell of some cigars & pipe tobacco but others are rather revolting.

Hopefully that helps along with yooperdave answers...

yooperdave and JimBear like this.
  4. JimBear

JimBear

Is there a current discount code at Cigars International?

yooperdave and Chvymn99 like this.
  5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Joes discount of the day is the only one consistent and its new "deal" everyday. Or get on the email list they'll periodically send them... or go to cigarbid (the sister site).

6. JimBear

JimBear

So after receiving a couple humidors & seeing that they need broke in for 24 hours. Will my cigars be ok staying in their cellophane/plastic they were shipped in & slap them in the freezer or a Tupperware dish until Saturday ?

Chvymn99 and yooperdave like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

I always store mine in the cellophane they come in. If they are in a zip lock bag, I'll open the bag. But boxes wrapped in cellophane go right into the coolidor until they are ready to be opened.

I also leave the cellophane on the individual cigars.

If you are going to put them in the freezer, I would absolutely leave everything sealed up; especially the zip lock bags.

Freezers/refrigerators act as de-humidifiers.

Chvymn99 and JimBear like this.
  8. JimBear

JimBear

I knew the fridge/freezer would eventually dehydrate them.

I am leaning towards leaving them set out at room temperature in a corner of a room away from sun & heat until Saturday morning then putting them in the humidors. Everything is still wrapped up in plastic/cellophane.

I will be starting the seasoning process this morning so the humidors should be ready by tomorrow morning.

I kind of got the cart ahead of the horse before starting this endeavor, so not realizing that the humidors need seasoning I kind of got caught with my pants down. In hind sight, I should of done my homework, the only smaller humidors I should buy were with combo/sampler packs & bought this as I can get an additional 10% off :

Clevelander Thermoelectric CIgar Cooler Cabinet

9. The Axeman Commeth

The Axeman Commeth

When I did smoke cigars it was White Owl, Dutch Masters, Grenadiers, William Penn, Swisher Sweets, you know, any kind that men would smoke.

10. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Your fine…. All the seasoning on the humidors is moisturizing the wood. You have a moisture control pack or disk?

if buy boxes… save the little mahogany wood, that’s Spanish mahogany. Good to put a piece or two in the humidor for flavor…

As far as from now till you get it in the humidor… you’ll be fine… worse case scenario. Zip lock bag a sheet of paper wetted and rung out good. Put it on the far end of the bag and the cigars on the other end…. Been there done that…

cellophane is fine.

I wouldn’t waste my time with the freezer… IMO…

yooperdave likes this.
  11. JimBear

JimBear

All three came with strips or disks, I bought a gallon of distilled water. All have hygrometers & I bought a couple digital ones also.

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

What did you end up having?

Chvymn99 likes this.
  13. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:rofl: :lol:…. that was Tuesday… even then I had to look back…:picard:… Ive ate & slept since then…and it was a week day…:picard:…. Probably a short cigar… only a hour one….probably meant it was a nub one… since Diesel ones are still on back order…:confused:

yooperdave likes this.
  14. JimBear

JimBear

I know your question wasn’t aimed at me but I had a Tatiana Natural Cherry Cigarillo,
    I will not be purchasing those again; at least they weren’t good to my palate. One of my brothers is going to try one later & give me his assessment.

I am having a time calibrating an analog hygrometer, using the method that they recommended. I am giving it another go this evening.

I have a couple more digitals on order.

I am also having a hard time getting my humidors up to 68%, I seasoned as recommended, the 100 count was at 62% after 18 hours so it may be on the right track, the 50 count was only 52% after 18 hours & the 25 count was unchecked as the analog it came with is not calibrating out.

I used the humidifiers that came with the humidors & prepped them the way they wanted. I will check them again tomorrow.

I think temperature may be an issue as my brother only keeps his shack at about 63*-64*.

Humidity may be really low there as well, I am not sure.

It is & will be a learning experience.

The Tabaks & one other (I can’t remember which one ) came with their own bovida pad.

15. JimBear

JimBear

What type of Nubs ? I was looking at a sampler pack of those.

16. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I like my Maduras…. :D….

17. JimBear

JimBear

18. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Price wise it would okay. Did you get the discount coupon and the free shipping code? If not I should, I can send it to you.. It would give you a variety of flavors from the difference in the wrapping and leaves used. I hadn't seen the Oliva variety before, so if you get it you'll have to let me know.

JimBear and yooperdave like this.
  19. JimBear

JimBear

I was having hard time sleeping last night so I started browsing. I came across this site & found the cigar selection for beginners part interesting. Have any of you gents looked thru it & found it accurate. I found the what are you drinking with your cigar interesting. Since I don’t drink alcohol, pop or coffee, I only drink water, tea, milk or occasionally some tonic water I may not get maximum flavor out of my cigars. Maybe I will have to start drinking coffee again.

Find Your Perfect Cigar | Cigar World

20. JimBear

JimBear

I checked the 100 count humidor tonight it was 66%, the other 2 where in the 50’s.

I separated out my flavored/infused from my unflavored. I was doing some more reading last night about how they recommended that you store them together.

My brother did not care for the Tatiana Cherry cigarillos either. We both thought they were rather harsh. I have yet to break into the Tabaks but that will occur sometime this week.

yooperdave likes this.