In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Propane Tank

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by SKEETER McCLUSKEY, Jan 1, 2022.

1. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

Hooked up this blue rhino 20lb to my cook stove Christmas day cause I live in poverty...and smelled gas...It wasn't from me... 20220101_143309.jpg

Ohio, Screwloose, mat60 and 3 others like this.
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i have a small pump up sprayer with soap and water in it that i keep for checking air leaks in trucks and sure enough lots o bubbles

Ohio, MikeInMa, Screwloose and 3 others like this.
  3. Warner

Warner

I have had the same issue not only do you get a crappy old tank that has been painted they only fill it half way…

Ohio, mat60, Chvymn99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

There is a pretty good reason for that.:yes:

Tractor Supply usually has the best deal on propane refills.
    You're paying (a lot) for the convenience of trading tanks at a market or big box store.

M2theB, Ohio, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  5. Eckie

Eckie

I did not know that. I'll have to see what the one we go by charges next time.

M2theB, Ohio, eatonpcat and 1 other person like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Any of the "tank trade" services are expensive (for what you get, which is not a full tank!) the best deal is usually to go to a local place that fills your tank, like a welding supply shop, or some hardware stores still do it too...

Ron T, Slocum, Greenstick and 5 others like this.
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam

I have some 30 year old tanks that I keep refilling. They look great and have new valves but at some point I will trade them in for a legal tank at one of those places.

Do they rust out from the inside?

Slocum, brenndatomu and Ohio like this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

My first thought is that it would take oxygen to rust? So if its under pressure it shouldn't rust.
    I'm sure someone else is better qualified to answer

Slocum, brenndatomu, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  9. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

Keep the old tanks….
    They are thicker metal, and if they have not been open to the elements they are fine on the inside. Visual recertification every 5 years and you are good.

10. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

That one should never have been filled… fails pre fill inspection…. Must of been a new guy… or an old timer that doesn’t give a sh!t.. :emb:

Chvymn99, Slocum, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  11. Warner

Warner

Does anybody give a chit anymore?

12. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I do…….
    Sometimes…….
    Ok…. Not very often .:emb::emb::wacky:

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Buzz Benton - you had a great post- don’t know why you deleted it?!

Chvymn99 and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Ohio

Ohio

I've smelled the tanks in cages leaking before, it definitely happens. The float can also break off and can be heard rattling around the bottom of the cylinder when shaken. Either of those conditions and the tank needs fixed or replaced. I'm definitely not taking either home.

Typically around where I live an exchange tank is $20 for 15 lb of propane. A gallon of propane is approximately 4.24 lb. So 15 lb of propane is 15÷ 4.24= 3.53 Gal. Then for net price $20÷ 3.53 Gal = $5.66 per gallon. Before the recession of 2008 exchange tanks were filled to 17lb, now they are filled to 15lb. I think 15lb is the floor as far as filling minimum weight because of slack fill laws.

I think at tractor supply or uhaul the price right now is 3.25 a gallon, which is much cheaper. However you have to hunt somebody down and get them to fill it, it is much less convenient. In my experience you need to watch the person filling the tank and make sure they are using the scale. A lot of the retailers will send out an untrained teenager and they fill the tank until the spitter valve spits. This would be alright if the float and the valve are working correctly.

Propane can be dangerous and if they are not using the scale they could over fill the tank. A grill cylinder will typically fit 20lb of propane max. But lets say the outside temp is 60 or less, the tank may possibly fit more. Then later in the day the outside temp will be 85 + the tank could become overpressured. The overpressured valve will let go and the tank will leak.

On a tank trade you do not get credit for any propane left in the tank, you the consumer are forfeiting the propane to the exchange co.

Edit: just drove by tractor supply, cost per gallon is 3.99 not 3.25.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Chvymn99, Slocum, Lastfling and 6 others like this.
  15. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Most of the tanks I have gotten through exchange in the last 6 months have been manufactured in the last month or two. The exception was when I exchanged a mint tank from 1998 for a beat up one from 1997 with a fresh inspection. I ended trading this one to a neighbor for a new one as he only does the exchange and not refill. I will refill these tanks until they expire then exchange them again.

Chvymn99, Slocum, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  16. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Not giving, is running chronic in society, unfortunately.

17. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

went to lowes...had to get the manager cause no receipt....who saves a receipt for a tank exchange?? guess i will now...they did give me another one free,plus i brought an empty.....both look like fairly new valves...i will inspect later

Chvymn99, Slocum, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  18. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Eric -

When I reviewed my post I did some additional research and learned that in some places Walmart uses Blue Rhino and in others not. In some of those places that do use Blue Rhino they are supplying tanks that only they (Blue Rhino) can re-fill.

While that is not the case at my nearest Walmart, I was afraid I'd be giving someone potentially bad advice - so I deleted my post.

But in my own case, yes, I have turned in rusty out of date empty tanks at Walmart and for under $15. gotten a like new tank filled with 20 pounds (4.5 gallons) of propane. That is a stellar deal, and then I can go to the local propane dealer to refill that same tank for more like $9.

Buzz

[​IMG]

Chvymn99, Slocum, Eckie and 7 others like this.
  19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:handshake:

:salute:

Chvymn99, Slocum, Eckie and 4 others like this.
  20. Warner

Warner

Yup, I have exchanged a few out of date thanks at the local gas station. I’ll look in the cage and if there is some new tanks I’ll go back with a tank I fished out of the dumpster and swap. They usually send a young kid out and if I offer to grab the”Heavy” tank for the young lad wearing a his sisters pants he is happy. Then I got a new tank for 15ish bucks. I like to find someone to fill them for 9 bucks tho.

Chvymn99, Slocum, Eckie and 5 others like this.