In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ 2022 Ford Maverick

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by bushpilot, Dec 30, 2021.

1. bushpilot

bushpilot

I picked up my Ford Maverick today. Just under $25k out the door, with the state of Washington's portion included.

Hybrid, FWD, Area-51 paint, Copilot 360, and hitch receiver. I will almost certainly add a cruise control and tonneau cover.

I have only driven it 25 miles so far, and got about 35+ mpg. It was snowy and the raods were slick, but it handled them well.

So far, I love it, it punches well above its weight. Think SUV with a bed, rather than a truck.

I'll update and answer any questions later.

Photos:
    IMG_20211230_135823684_HDR.jpg IMG_20211230_135853197_HDR.jpg IMG_20211230_135913259_HDR.jpg

Unhdsm, RGrant, Jack Straw and 15 others like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

These are getting 40+ mpg on the freeways. Vehicles like this are why Ford doesn't make any sedans. It's inexpensive, gets great mpg, and is very capable. There's a reason they are selling a ton of them. I believe they are actually sold out of every 2022 before a single one was actually delivered.

RGrant, Jack Straw, JB Sawman and 9 others like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Whoa!! Congrats!! Glad you finally got it BP

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Love the Nissan floor mat!

Best of luck with it.

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Congrats, nice ride!

6. chris

chris

looks like it might be time to trade in my 2016 Escape. (138xxx mi)

7. Horkn

Horkn

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  8. mat60

mat60

Congrats!! Enjoy your new ride.

Jack Straw, JB Sawman, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  9. bushpilot

bushpilot

I did a little 20 mile drive today, it continues to impress. Very slick roads, with ice and snow, and the FWD performed well. And I got 45 mpg on that little jaunt.

It is comfortable, quiet, and was warm with outside temps in the lower teens. All that with a 1500 pound payload, and 200 pounds towing capacity. Sure, not a F-series truck, but I am really impressed with this one.

10. bushpilot

bushpilot

They are still taking orders for the 2.0 EcoBoost engine Maverick. The hybrid is sold out for 2022.

The EcoBoost Maverick gets about 10mpg less than the hybrid, and costs a little more. But, on the plus side, it has more power, and with the right options it can tow 4000 pounds, and has optional 4wd.

If Ford came out with an EV or PHEV Maverick, that would be amazing.

11. RGrant

RGrant

I already got the seal of approval from my wife to trade in our car to get an electric truck when they're out.

Your Mav looks really awesome. The modularity that the bed allows for is really impressive.

Eric VW, Horkn and mat60 like this.
  12. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Can't wait to see this on the Car Hoarding Thread.

Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  13. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

When they come out with a "Grabber" edition, I'll get one to match my 1971 Maverick Grabber!

20220130_153442.jpg

Congrats bushpilot, sounds like a great little truck. My uncle ordered one and is still waiting for it to arrive, should be any day now.

14. bushpilot

bushpilot

One marketing choice that Ford made is to not offer cruise control on the XL trim. Period, cannot option it.

Well, we get by with a little help from our friends, and others have figured out that the cruise control is effectively already there, just need to change the switches on the steeering wheel, and use ForScan to activate it. I did this last week, and added a tonneau cover this week, and it is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

So far I am in the upper 30's mpg (sorry for the imprecision, the truck is outside, and it's cold out there!). When mostly in the city, I am seeing 42-46 mpg.

It is warm, comfortable, and a decent driver.

15. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Cool car Scotty , you don't see too many of those around.

Eric VW likes this.
  16. RGrant

RGrant

That CC hack is mind blowing to me. I'd love to know how it's working out for you or if there's any wrinkles in that plan, but it seems like it should work no problems.

Those numbers are really incredible.
    Question for you: with the FWD (which is all I've ever had) are you planning on putting snow tires on it for winters?

Eric VW and Eggshooterist like this.
  17. bushpilot

bushpilot

The cruise control works perfectly, exactly the same as factory, because it is exactly the same as factory. Funny thing is I would have gladly paid Ford a couple hundred to have them do it for me. They should reconsider that marketing decision.

Like you, I have never had 4wd in snow country, but if they had offered 4wd in the hybrid, I would likely have gone for that. This winter I am running the OEM tires, and they are actually doing OK. But yes, I am a big fan of winter tires, and will be acquiring them for next winter.

I think AWD or 4wd are a "trap" for many people. How many times have I been driving on icy roads at a reasonable "reduced" speed (maybe the speed limit, in some cases), and I get blown by by someone in their 4wd/awd something, usually a raised truck. "You need to know how to drive in the snow," they say. The first part of knowing how is knowing that you need to SLOW DOWN, and make smooth driving inputs. Those who blow by at 70 on a 60 mph road, with snow on top of ice on the road, are playing a game of chance, nothing more. (sorry for the rant ...)

Yes, love the Maverick. It is built to a price point, and that can be seen, but for the most part Ford figured out how to give a lot of bang for the buck. It is more comfortable, bigger, quieter, and more efficient than the two older cars (Ford Focus, Mazda Protege) we had a year ago. The HVAC works, the seats are minimally adjustable but comfortable, everything just works. It is fast off the line, not at all the dog you would expect a hybrid to be. It is not a Mercedes, but it is a decent Ford. I look forward to driving it up to Alaska in the summer.

Eric VW and Eggshooterist like this.
  18. bushpilot

bushpilot

I learned to drive in a Maverick. It had the straight six, not the 302 V8 option, but I always (as a teenage boy) wished it was the 302.

Sweet ride Scotty Overkill ! I never drove a Grabber, and haven't seen any "in the wild" for years. I wouldn't be surprised if they did pull that out of their marketing cap someday, and offer a new Grabber Maverick.

19. RGrant

RGrant

Couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.

Does the truck come with heated seats? ... I know... I'm weak- but I don't want to go without them again.

Any plans for putting a rack or something to protect the rear window should you wind up hauling wood with it?

Eric VW likes this.
  20. bushpilot

bushpilot

Understand about the heated seats, I really like them in my Volt. My "poverty edition" (XL trim) Maverick does not have heated seats, nor is it an option. For that you need to upgrade to the XLT trim, and Lux package.

I have no plans for a rack or anything to protect the rear window. I don't anticipate ever hauling firewood in it.

eatonpcat, RGrant and Eric VW like this.