In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Took down 2 smaller Maples today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by firecracker_77, Aug 12, 2014.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I neglected to mention that yesterday. Those should come in handy for big trees, but I find the shorter ones more useful for everyday type use. That being said, I got my bar pinched a few times in the monster ash I cut up at my neighbor's house, and I couldn't wedge it to free the saw - just kept spitting the wedge out at me on the second or third whack. Bigger wedge probably would have done the trick. But a lot of the time, the big ones are just too big and get in the way. Plus, the smaller ones generally have a steeper taper, giving you more lift faster.

    Of course the big ones can be easily modified by the chainsaw. :saw:
     
  2. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I just got 'em in the mail. They are big, but I will give them a try.
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    It is extremely rare for me to make a bore cut. It simply is not required for most trees. In fact, one time I recall logging for 2 years and not once using a bore cut nor a wedge. It can be done.

    On those trees that fall back on the saw, one other option is to make another wedge cut on the side the tree wants to fall then follow through dropping it on that side. Then it is easy getting that other saw out.
     
    HDRock and firecracker_77 like this.
  4. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    That would have been a good strategy had I been there with another decent sized saw. My 192 only has a 30 cc engine and a 12 inch bar. That's the back-up I brought. I should have brought the 290...next time I'll know. :emb:
     
    HDRock and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Nothing wrong with a bore cut though I suppose. If I waste a couple minutes, that's not the worst thing.

    When do you recommend a bore cut?
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    As a last resort! Mainly when you have two trees growing together; both leaning in opposite directions.
     
  7. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    A bore cut can prevent the "barber chair" effect. If a tree has a heavy enough forward lean, it can decide to violently break off before you have completed the back cut. You don't want to be standing next to the tree when this happens.

    It's sort of a judgement call. If the tree is big, I use a bore cut.

     
    HDRock likes this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    And for sure remember the bore cut if cutting white ash as that splits, or barber chairs really easy. I admit I had one ash a few years ago I should have bore cut but did not want to cut the smaller trees right where I'd have to be working so I passed on it. Yes, I got a barber chair. Makes the heart go a bit faster for a while. :rofl: :lol:
     
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  9. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'm going to invest the little bit of extra time. I'm very green and at this point avoiding injury is critical. I hope to fall a lot more trees before it's all done.
     
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I would get a cant hook when you can afford it , I don't know what I would do without it ,
    I think It's a must have ,just my opinion