I have no pics yet, but I took down a couple 30 foot maples today. First one was a snap. Fell where I wanted it...easy to buck into logs. Tree #2 was a mess. I had my notch cut, and the tree sat down on my saw following the bore cut. If I had wedges like the Husqvarna instructors video, I'd have been fine but..... Then, I got my little 192 out and cut away the hinge to free the stuck 441 and the tree then fell down into a ditch which I was trying to avoid to begin with. Needless to say...I had more problems from there. I managed to misjudge the tree and pinched the 441 when I was cutting up the trunk as it was laying in that ditch precariously. The 192 with a 12 inch bar had to cut through a 20 inch trunk to free the first saw. Then, since it was down in a ditch getting the decent wood from the larger branches ( > 5 inches is what I keep ) was not easy as the branches were crammed down in there and had to be dragged against gravity. On a positive note, my 441 with the 16 inch bar and 8 pin was zipping along...especially in soft wood like that. The great news is that there is lots and lots of maple on that property and I have free access. I took down 2 baby trees since I was alone and don't have the experience to judge all the felling directions and tree lean just yet. The largest maple on the front of the property is probably at least 36 inches in diameter, so there will be some good wood there. I'll have my buddy who has a tree service come over and help me bring them down, and I can go from there solo.
It's quite a rush bringing down a big one. Your buddy coming over to help with your first few is a great plan. You'll learn a lot I'll bet.
I can relate... The husky guy and his video's makes it look easy..... Glad you got it all down. Looking forward to the 36" maple video...
Well, BTDT Sounds like one of my recent outings almost to the letter. I try to learn from every goofup.
Tree #1 was a pleasure. I had that done within an hour and all the branches are piled up away from the firewood. Once I drop 6 or 7 trees, I'll have him bring his commercial chipper and we'll get rid of all the branches in an hour or 2. The property is on U.S. 30 and has an old abandoned house that's practically falling apart. The owner bought it for commercial development and is waiting on a buyer who wants to have a large property on a main road like a Walgreens or a strip mall. The trees are of no value to him and will have to be removed by the buyer in order to develop the property, so I can have as much as I want. He wants me to take down a few at a time and then haul the logs away, which is just fine for me.
Sounds like it had a back lean to it? They're so much more agreeable when you lay them down where they want to go. I've not tried the "stick trick", but I have a couple wedges; they're cheap and I never go into the woods without them. Best way to overcome a back lean. I skip the bore cut on small diameter back leaners. If it sits down on the saw, a couple wedges straighten it back up and free the saw at the same time.
Ordered 3 ten inch wedges this morning. I almost bought a cant hook, but didn't want to spend $76 today on it.
When will enough time pass before we get pictures ? I throw a grappling hook & snag a limb, or run a ladder up 15' & tie off, then some tension to help pull the tree the direction needed. Works pretty good most times.
I prefer a mixed variety of wedges, but most often use the shorter ones felling (8"?) and then the shortest one bucking (6"). This will vary based on the size of the tree of course. Wedges are a game changer - no more pinched bars!! I find when bucking 2 in the back pocket are perfect - relatively comfortable and easy access. Most of the time I can bang them in with the heel of my hand... getting them out usually requires a hammer of sorts.
I agree with you there. I bought 10 inch not having any experience. I can always buy shorter ones. I'm hoping they will prevent some of the problems I've had.
I'll try and get some pics of the pile...not that much wood. But, I'll show the other trees that I'll take in the next few months.
Well, if you are anywhere as... ahem.... "skilled" as me, you will shave down an inch or two of those 10"-ers during your backcuts!
You got me thinking about ways to use the wedges. I'm thinking when you start bucking, you could a wedge in afterwards to keep the wood from pinching.
Absolutely, consider you use a wedge or two once per felling, but many times over bucking. Pretty much every bucked tree I use wedges, not so felling when lean/ canopy or general open area don't call for a wedge.
Think of how much energy and time not using wedges costs when you are pinched. Never again for me. I'll take the 20 seconds and set the wedge and save time overall...let alone remain in a good mood.