In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

M
    My phone. I just go online. I use Duck Duck Go for a search engine. It works fine. I'm out on the ragged edge of cell reception so sometimes it's real slow. Or doesn't work. But eventually it does.

NortheastAl, Horkn, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  2. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Pitch google in the bay. Download Duck Duck Go and use it for your search engine. .
    Lot less tracking you.

NortheastAl, mat60, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm on several forums also. It's easy. They are all qued up in another thingy . At the moment I have 46 different sites qued up.

NortheastAl, mat60, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds like you had it worse than us. We had what you did but fortunately without the ice. It is looking like round 2 is coming in just a couple days now.

NortheastAl, mat60, bogieb and 4 others like this.
  5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Round 2 IMG_20211212_232957282.jpg

Just kidding

eatonpcat, NortheastAl, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Sure didn't cool much overnight as it is 38 out there. Another big blow is forecast in a couple days.

NortheastAl, mat60, bogieb and 6 others like this.
  7. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

They have a wind warning for here tomorrow evening thru Tuesday.
    Their saying dangerous windchills.
    Almost all the time when the wind comes up here , it warms up.
    We'll see.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

We got in our maiden voyage snowshe walk this evening just before sunset. Instead of my conventional alaskan wood snowshoes......

[​IMG]

I wore a pair of those new style aluminum frame and solid webbed snowshoes similar to these..........

[​IMG]

99 lbs spied them at a moving sale last fall and for only $5 a pair, we grabbed them.

Hers were fine, however, one of the rivets blew out next to the binding on mine. Limped back to the house and after drilling out the remainder of the rivet, used a machine screw, couple finder washers and a double nut. Looks to be fine; ready for next time.

It was a perimeter walk around the compound. Nothing interesting enough to take a pic of though.

eatonpcat, NortheastAl, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  10. savemoney

savemoney

I don't want anything to do with Tapatalk. Avoid it like the plague. To me, it just another layer of troubles.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

:handshake:

12. savemoney

savemoney

I really dislike the wind. Seems like we have more of it then ever before. Maybe just me. I am older and have COPD. I have found that wearing the face mask outside helps me when it is cold and windy.

NortheastAl, mat60, Stinny and 5 others like this.
  13. savemoney

savemoney

Looks good. I know you did the handy work. Is that where you live, your home?

14. savemoney

savemoney

We got ice on Sat. Cars off the road, overturned etc. I only stepped out to allow the dog out on a very long lead. He headed right back in after doing his business. So far, he shows no indication that he would run off, but I don't want to chance it. Besides, taking him out gets me off my big hind side.

15. Horkn

Horkn

Google chrome browser

16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Are those Atlas brand ? I've fell a suprising volume of timber on snowshoes.
    The biggest problem I see with the modern aluminum snowshoes. They are made for packed trails or dense wet snow. In deeper or sugar or powder snow. They tend to nose in easily. I would like very much to have a pair of 12"x42" aluminum and synthetic deck version of the Green Mt Bearpaw. With similar crampon to the ones pictured. Except the front claw a couple inches longer.
    I haven't put a pair of snowshoes on yet this winter. Been thinking about it tho.

NortheastAl, Horkn, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  17. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I used to live in my baclavas with face mask anytime it was colder than 20 below. Which was A Lot. Either those and or the Cold Avenger breath warming face masks. With more than half the breath holes taped shut.
    Since I started taking 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 daily. I can easily hang out in 40 below with no face mask. Tho if I'm exerting myself pretty good , I do need one @ 40 below. I have frost nipped my throat and the top of my lungs in the past and had a real hard time in the winters afterwards.
    I've read studies where they had cyclists wear breath warming face masks and not . Their times wear faster with the masks on and their recovery was Much faster.

NortheastAl, bogieb, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Cut more wood yesterday but may not be able to today. Seems wood cutting gets harder every year but I still enjoy doing what I can.

19. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll try a goal of one chainsaw gas tank full of cutting per day. Thats it. I'm sure I could improve on that....but why? Too many conditions get worse with me.

Yeah, processing wood is getting harder every year.........:handshake:

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

I'll have to look to see just what brand they are. They are about 40 years old.

All those reasons that you mentioned about the new snowshoes are spot on. I only use them on the groomed trails and even yesterday noticed the "nosing in" feature of their performance.

When I picked out that wood pair of snowshoes decades ago, I told the shop owner I would be using them out in the woods where no paths were established; these are the ones he recommended.

It was during a cold snap back in the 80's, while snowshoeing along a river bank, I went through the ice! I was along the shorline and grabbed at whtever I could. Pulled myself out thanks to willow sort of brush growing and bent down from weight of snow. There was no noticable current to speak of in this river (except spring). Between those two things in my favor, I got out!

Talk about a cold walk back to the truck....my clothes turned into ice in short order and man, was that ever a stiff and difficult walk!