In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cross country scrounging

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Dec 11, 2021.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,776
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Several weeks back member JimBear and I exchanged PMs regarding a firewood barter. Here in Connecticut, I have no access to Osage Orange, and where he’s at in Iowa, he has no access to American beech. Today two boxes arrived at my back door loaded with this strange exotic wood that up until today I’ve only drooled over seeing pictures online. Thanks Jim! Now I’ll have to load the boxes with some beech I have and send them west :thumbs:

    98079426-B8A5-476E-9155-FC4423FE5B36.jpeg
    77C924E1-2447-4A18-A7B8-D27AE7F115D6.jpeg
    ADC7625C-6671-44CC-AF82-5178D7D8C3B1.jpeg
     

    Attached Files:

  2. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,844
    Likes Received:
    114,761
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    You going to burn it, or admire it?
     
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,776
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Burn most of it except for the largest 2 pieces, of which I’ve got some loose plans for woodworking projects with.
     
  4. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Only on FHC would people send each other boxes of firewood. That awesome!
     
  5. JimBear

    JimBear

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2020
    Messages:
    3,608
    Likes Received:
    22,215
    Location:
    Iowa
    Glad it made it. I was curious how the boxes would hold up & a Saturday delivery to boot. There are no UPS/FedEx deliveries on Saturdays around here.
     
  6. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,791
    Likes Received:
    27,777
    Location:
    western WA
    This is hilarious! We need to develop a "Firewood Sampler" box or start a "Firewood of the Month Club" through the Swag shop!
     
  7. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,791
    Likes Received:
    27,777
    Location:
    western WA
    If you were trading cigars or airline bottles of whiskey like normal people, this would be easier to understand. But within the framework of FHC it somehow works! I have a private reserve of small batch Bar Oil if anyone is interested in working up a swap!
     
  8. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Organic non gmo?
     
  9. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,791
    Likes Received:
    27,777
    Location:
    western WA
    AND free range!
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,949
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats cool. Only on FHC. Id like to see it in person if possible.

    The end of that round almost looks like BL. Way to go guys! :thumbs:
     
  11. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,776
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. It looks like Black locust wood encased in Mulberry bark. I guess Mulberry and Osage are in the same family, hence the similar bark appearance.
     
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,949
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Whats the proof? :coldone:
     
  13. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
  14. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    And ethically sourced .
     
  15. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,434
    Location:
    Ct
    As I quietly close the door and flee down the hallway :)
     
  16. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Did you cut one?
     
  17. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,434
    Location:
    Ct
    More along the lines of Jack Nicholson and a large Indian both dressed in white ;)
     
  18. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,776
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    There’s at least one Osage in Connecticut that I know of... a large one up in Enfield. jo191145 is your compound surrounded by an impenetrable hedge jungle or what?
     
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,753
    Likes Received:
    214,949
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    If it was i wouldve definitely noticed when i was there
     
  20. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,555
    Likes Received:
    67,776
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut