Several weeks back member JimBear and I exchanged PMs regarding a firewood barter. Here in Connecticut, I have no access to Osage Orange, and where he’s at in Iowa, he has no access to American beech. Today two boxes arrived at my back door loaded with this strange exotic wood that up until today I’ve only drooled over seeing pictures online. Thanks Jim! Now I’ll have to load the boxes with some beech I have and send them west
Burn most of it except for the largest 2 pieces, of which I’ve got some loose plans for woodworking projects with.
Glad it made it. I was curious how the boxes would hold up & a Saturday delivery to boot. There are no UPS/FedEx deliveries on Saturdays around here.
This is hilarious! We need to develop a "Firewood Sampler" box or start a "Firewood of the Month Club" through the Swag shop!
If you were trading cigars or airline bottles of whiskey like normal people, this would be easier to understand. But within the framework of FHC it somehow works! I have a private reserve of small batch Bar Oil if anyone is interested in working up a swap!
Thats cool. Only on FHC. Id like to see it in person if possible. The end of that round almost looks like BL. Way to go guys!
That’s exactly what I was thinking. It looks like Black locust wood encased in Mulberry bark. I guess Mulberry and Osage are in the same family, hence the similar bark appearance.
There’s at least one Osage in Connecticut that I know of... a large one up in Enfield. jo191145 is your compound surrounded by an impenetrable hedge jungle or what?
I should go up here next fall and see if I can score a couple “monkey balls” and extract the seeds to plant more http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletrees/ViewTreeData.jsp?selected=49002