In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Where’s the Stihl 400?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chud, Feb 26, 2021.

1. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

The 400 is sporting a new light bar. Unfortunately, they just closed down my primary scrounging area for the winter (gated forest service road). However, we've had wicked wind the last few days and I spotted a decent fresh silver maple blowdown about a mile from the house so I may try and tackle that tomorrow (good excuse to try out the new bar).

20211128_142736.jpg

2. System

System

Looks good! Time to bury it...

3. Horkn

Horkn

Hopefully the supply chain issues don't mess with your orders. Some manufacturers are cancelling pre orders. What did you snow check?

amateur cutter and metalcuttr like this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I see. I know the chain case sprockets have been a supplier to BRP issue. Held up off the coast of LA with the shipping container fun.

5. System

System

We have two SkiDoo Renegade Enduro 900Rs on order. From what I've read, manufacturers aren't really cancelling per se but rather giving really late delivery dates like Feb or March with the option to cancel and get your deposit back no questions asked. That said, if you cancel, you might get the same deal next year and all at a higher price. So, if you want something, you better keep your order... I did hear rumors about Polaris outright cancelling some orders but not sure if that's true. I ordered a Polaris ATV in September and I should be picking it up this week. So, I'm not sure why their sleds are so late... other than the HUGE recall on their 850 motors. My Doo delivery date was to be in Nov and when they bumped everyone about 2 months back it was moved to Dec. That's when some Doo guys got Jan or Feb. Dec is fine with me as we don't start to ride til later in Jan here in New England most years.

amateur cutter, metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  6. System

System

Do you ride?

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

NICE looking saw. Jonesing to get mine soon. Did you decide to keep your 362?

8. Horkn

Horkn

I do when there's snow.;)
    Have since I was a kid.

9. Horkn

Horkn

You might not hear the exact reason why the delivery date was bumped, but my money is on the gears in the chain case. Just from my personal experience in the supply chain. There's chip issues too, but I don't personally deal with those.

amateur cutter and metalcuttr like this.
  10. System

System

The chip issues have delayed certain gauges and DESS posts. They also have shorted some of the new Mach Z buyers their computer to run their smart shocks. Mine will likely come without their DESS posts but I don't have SS and the gauge that is standard on mine is not in a shortage. Another shortage is rubber. My machine was supposed to come with an IR track and is now coming with a RS instead along with a $350-400 credit per sled. This is fine with me since I planned to stud my tracks anyways. So, the only real shortage that I'm aware of so far that will effect me is the DESS post and the dealer will provide a lock for it free of charge and swap in the DESS when they land in the spring. All in all, if that's all that I have to worry about, I'll be happy. I haven't read anything about chain case gears on DooTalk but that doesn't mean you're wrong. It's just a wait and see at this point...

11. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

For the time being I think I'm going to hang on to the 362. It's a great all-around saw and I think it will still get a lot of use. If I change my mind in the near future, I will let you know.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Stopped at my local OPE dealer today to get an oil cap for my 026 and checked out the saw inventory. Good selection including a couple 400c's. $929 + tax with a 25" bar. I wanted a 20" but he sells them with whatever them come with. What did you guys pay?

13. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I can't believe that you haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    Has to be hard to go to OPE and walk out without a new toy.

14. System

System

Brad, you going to dump another saw to fund the 400 or is this an "in addition to" kind of purchase?

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Trying to sell my little Husky top handle. It was replaced by my 194 and i never use it anymore. Id like to sell my circa 1973 020 as well.

16. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

That policy actually does good things for the average consumer. I do wish there was a better way to look up, order and receive parts online though.

The strength of the dealer network is a big positive to buying a Stihl vs everything else, in addition to good product quality. You can build the best saws in the world but if you sell them from a catalog and leave service to chance and call centers, you won’t last long. Especially in this era of social media. How long will it be before someone posts up about their new saw being garbage, the warranty being crap, and how nobody should buy this turd. All without a single human contact/experience with your company?

I’m not saying the dealer model is perfect or the only way, just that it’s working for them and has been for decades. They were smart to protect it early on as it’s easy to relax their position but nearly impossible to put the internet genie back in the bottle once it’s out without doing serious harm to their reputation among dealers.

Once a consumer good becomes a commodity, (Homelite, Poulan, McCullough these were great saws once upon a time!) it’s a race to the bottom for price and quality will always take the backseat. It only has to be built just good enough to get clicks and a credit card number. :doh:

ETA: It will be interesting to see how battery equipment affects this as there is far less to “get right” with a battery tool vs something with an engine.

17. System

System

Brad, I have a text into my dealer to see what they would charge you. I'll let you know...

18. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

That's what he needs , a little help from others here.
    It's just a matter of time now.

I'll drive him there if that will help.

19. Chud

Chud

I’d love to take Brad to see this gem of a backyard Stihl dealer. Last time I was there he had a 400 for sale.
    38E31AA5-3892-404C-89D1-D5D7B2E23470.jpeg
    It’s a good or bad place to be for a saw collector
    with firewood cash burning a hole in his pocket

20. System

System

That place looks like fun! I like my dealer because he carries all three brands. Echo, Stihl and Husky. In normal years he has about every model saw from each brand on the shelf. He also stocks all their other OPE. Best part is, he's not a MSRP tyrant so it's really hard not to leave without something new when you stop in.

amateur cutter, Horkn and metalcuttr like this.