In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Interesting tree situation and maple firewood!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Spencer, Nov 21, 2021.

  1. Spencer

    Spencer

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2016
    Messages:
    825
    Likes Received:
    5,057
    Location:
    Indiana
    So i had a maple tree and red oak tree that apparently grew out of the same spot lol. The top of the maple tree busted out so it was time to take the maple down and turn it into saw log and firewood. Can anybody ID what type of maple this is? It doesnt look like the sugar maple on my place, but it was pretty dense.

    I plunge cut the maple so as to minimize the disturbance/damage to the big red oak.

    two tress grown together:
    pic of two trees in same spot.jpg

    Pic of top that busted out of the maple:
    pic of busted top.jpg

    Picture of stump after i dropped the maple "half":
    pic after cut.jpg

    Picture of the trunk on the ground, the 9 ft section will be a saw log:
    pic of maple saw log.jpg

    Some splits from the busted out top:
    splitter.jpg
     
  2. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,593
    Likes Received:
    68,127
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I’m going to go with red (soft) maple. The bark varies quite a bit with age and location but I’ve seen plenty that looked like that.
     
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,873
    Likes Received:
    215,740
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I say red maple as well. Most common tree in here in Connecticut. Pretty cool how two different species will grow that close. I have a basswood and birch like that in my woods IMG_4376.JPG