IDed this as white oak of some sort, but the tiny leaves and acorns threw me. Any ideas FHC? Thought the acorns were cool looking!
Maybe swamp white oak Acorn doesn’t match swamp white or Burr so I dunno. Never seen a long acorn like that
The way the leaves grow in a cluster radiating outward reminds me of swamp white oak, but the lobe shape is off a bit. I wonder if it’s a hybrid of regular white oak and swamp white? buZZsaw BRAD was it in a wet bottomland area?
Good catch. I never expect to find European species here but I know they’re around, and some European/American hybrids
Rhode Island quarter mile from the shore on the edge of an open field. Next to stone wall, possible planted many years ago.
That was a limb i snapped off the tree. Maybe 12" DBH. I spotted the small leaves and on closer inspection saw one with the acorns still attached. Didnt have camera on me to get bark pic.
Another European species that occasionally pops up is Black pine and they are beautiful if youve ever seen them.
Were there any large concrete domed structures in that field? Festooned with warning and danger signs perhaps? Strange little nuts but then again arent we all