In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Northern Industrial Tools Chain Grinder ,on sale

Discussion in 'Closed Ads' started by HDRock, Oct 28, 2013.

  1. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
  2. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Get 'em while they're hot!
     
  3. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Do they actually work ok? I had heard the cheaper chain sharpeners tended to have enough slop that they were iffy at best. This was coming from my buddy with a $500+ dollar sharpener so I don't know if he is just jaded lol
     
  4. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    Lots of info out there on improving them for cheap but in my experience, they do work pretty well out of the box.
     
  5. Guido Salvage

    Guido Salvage

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,735
    Likes Received:
    4,938
    Location:
    The heart of the Bluegrass
    Bought a Stihl USG yesterday, you get what you pay for.
     
  6. MasterMech

    MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    9,648
    Likes Received:
    26,044
    Location:
    Greenville County SC
    I have the foot pedal attachment for the chain clamp on mine and that grinder is fantastic. Uber pricey but fantastic nonetheless.
     
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I don't have one but , some people on the forum do and say they work well .
    Some other people have the Timber Tuff , which is exactly the same.
    If all you do is sharpen your own chains ,I cant see spending $500 on a chain grinder
     
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    You need to learn how to grind a chain. I paid a dealer to ruin 2 of my chains. A guy I used to work with really knew how to grind a chain, I believe the secret is to grind lightly to prevent over heating the chain.
     
  9. Guido Salvage

    Guido Salvage

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,735
    Likes Received:
    4,938
    Location:
    The heart of the Bluegrass
    I can't either, that is why I drove an hour to pick the one up yesterday. I wasn't looking for one, but I couldn't pass this one up for the price that was asked.
     
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Cool ! sounds like you got a good deal
     
  11. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I have the cheapest one you can buy. Its the Harbor freight one for $29.99. Go slowly with a light touch and I can sharpen 3x better than I could by hand and can probably out sharpen 7 out of 10 people here if they were hand fileing. Not doped wise im talking uniformity and sharpness.

    I see the same sharpeners same name and some just like it with no name straight from china listed on eBay for more than I paid.
     
  12. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    The Northern is the same as the Timber Tuff and thats what I have. For a $100 it is 1,000 Times better than the HF unit.

    This is a Cast construction with adjustable head angles and 3 different stones. For the money, you wont find one better unless you hit the $400-$500 and up range.

    Stay away from Plastic frames. They twist and torque to much.

    Don't mind the 361... Look bbehind it. The beautiful Green Machine :)
    20130928_195605.jpg
     
    HDRock and clemsonfor like this.
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I thought you had a Timber Tuff but wasn't sure .
    I am thinking of pulling the trigger on The Northern
    I have an HF unit paid $25 it works but I do not like it
     
  14. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    For $100, you'll love it... :)

    I spent $200 on a "Name Brand" model and I couldn't tell it was a plastic frame. Used it a few times. It works, but I do a bunch of chains for friends amd neighbors. Needed something built stronger.

    So I bought a TT and the other one will be a Raffle or Prize at our GTG at Swags this coming May. For the average cutter, its more than they would need.
     
    HDRock, clemsonfor and Pallet Pete like this.
  15. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I have looked at the northern ones this summer. They looked good but I am impressed with the hf unit the times I have used it. I have sharpened exclusively for about 2 yrs with it. Not bad. The key is taking your time. If u yank it down it will torque if you go slow there is not a problem. I'm sure that there are better ones though.
     
  16. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I think the HF is impressive for the price, and yes you have to take your time ,bring it down easy and be very carful how much pressure you put on it or you could end up with a scrap chain.
    A 100 bucks isn't bad for something I think I would be much happier with
     
  17. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    O crap another green machine I want :emb: Thanks Dex....
     
    HDRock likes this.
  18. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Here are some closer shots of the Northern/Timber Tuff machine for those wondering.

    And a pic of the other one that I will Raffle off at Swags.
    20131029_183006.jpg 20131029_182958.jpg 20131029_183011.jpg
     
    HDRock and clemsonfor like this.
  19. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nice close up pics
    It does look like a solid tool
    I will take your word for it Dex , that it is 1,000 Times better than the HF unit. If your right you get a bozo button ;)
    Ordered one up :D so , we shall see in 5 to 7 days , I hope, never bought from Northern before.
     
  20. Guido Salvage

    Guido Salvage

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,735
    Likes Received:
    4,938
    Location:
    The heart of the Bluegrass
    Believe it or not, I bought a Homelite 540 at Northern Hydraulics in 1991. At 88 cc's it was the last of their muscle saws. Cost me $531 and change with a 20" bar.
     
    MasterMech likes this.