My wife and I spent the first 2 weeks of October visiting Cape Cod. A few quiet harbors around Hyannis Then, busy Hyannis Harbor At the Cape Cod Canal Mainland side of the canal - a fishing pier. One of the many places where I can attest there are no fish Then, off To Woods Hole to an area referred to a The knob. Cool spot to walk around Out at the end More to come.
Back on the mainland side of the canal - different day The Sagamore Bridge The East end of the Canal. Looking out onto Cape Cod Bay A Rosa Ragusa - Beach rose hanging on You never know what's going to come through the canal
Still looking out on Cape Cod Bay In the Town of Sandwich, a boardwalk connects downtown to the beaches Views off and around the boarwalk Below is another angle of the end of the canal. the tower, with the red dot is out on a jetty. Plymouth and Boston further, would be to the right and beyond Looking south. the distant land is the arm of Cape Cod as it curls up to the north We went to eat at a place, not far from Joint Base Cape Cod. They had a separate table set up. I had a salad, with a scoop of lobster salad and a brew. A tidal river near the restaurant One final picture for WeldrDave Back at the Canal
Oops.. I lied. Just found 2 others I'm shooting into the sun, but this is a work barge with a tug(?) boat pushing. The tug nestles up into a wide channel at the rear of the barge
Nice Mike , unfortunately we did not get a chance to get up to the Cape this year. Not as easy since Dad passed away and Mom moved back to Connecticut to be closer to family. We always had a place up there until two years ago so now it's not as easy to just jump in the car and go. You picked a good time of year to get up there , crowds are gone and a little easier getting around. Connections on the Cape were saying this summer was crazy as far as the crowds go , I guess so many people just needed to get away after being cooped up for so long. Great pictures and many of the places in the pictures I certainly recognize and have fond memories of being there. I am so lucky to have been able to spend time there over the past 50 sum-odd years , it has really changed there over time period. Thanks for sharing , Glad you were able to get away.
Beautiful Pics Mike!!! I'ver been under the Sag Bridge about 6 times in my life, usually early in the morning with the Incoming tide. Also in fog like your pic. It is always so picturesque and during the summer, Very Busy! Thanks for sharing.
Did ya get any fishing in this year mike? Unfortunately due to weather, work and family stuff I didn’t get out but a couple times. Buddies crushed the tuna this year.
I didn't get out on a party boat. I tried a few times from shore. Nothing but wet bait. We're kicking around a charter trip next June. We'll see.
We have timeshare in April, June, and October. We avoid the craziness of summer. Because of my dad taking sick this past June, we were able to move our week to October, for 2 weeks, back to back.
An annual camping trip with the same bunch of guys. Been going there for decades. It's nice that you are able to keep yourself entertained.
Love the pictures. I noticed big rocks on the sides of the canal. Is that to prevent erosion from the wave action? I really liked the sailboat pictures. The last pictures I guess would be a pusher tug. We have a few similar in idea around here.
Yes. The canal is lined with what is called rip-rap. It prevents erosion. The current in the canal changes direction, with the change of the tide. It can get ripping through there pretty good.
My entire family vacationed close a bunch of years ago and some of us spent a day on Cape Cod. It was a great time. I bought one of my all time favorite pieces of pottery there (tea cup/mug). Thanks for sharing your pics.
If you like getting outside, this region works for me. An hour to the ocean, 3 hrs to the White mtns in NH. Boston is an hour away if the city/sports venues are calling you. Glad you liked the pictures.
The rip-rap also gives the rats a place to hunt and hide. The minimum horsepower for being in the canal is 10HP, which isn't really quite enough to power your way against the tide when it is at its max unless you have a dingy or a maybe a small rib. We used to anchor off 1st beach (where Tree House Brewing is now) and wait for the tide to change direction. I was impatient once and left the anchorage about an hour before the tide change and man-oh-man people were walking along the canal faster than the headway we were making against the current. (10HP on a small sailboat)