In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Horkn

Horkn

I don't use CR. Their reports are horrible, in that they are simply not useful. This is evidence from people I know that bought these things, and were burned with bad decisions on buying them. Also, in addition to this, there's plenty of evidence out there, not from CR.

2. Horkn

Horkn

They are typically pretty reliable. Head gasket issues happen, but, like Canadian border VT mentioned, these are usually older ones that were timing belt and were not kept up. Just because the timing belt is in one piece, doesn't mean that everything is fine. :picard:. The flat 4 engine configuration isn't easy to work on in the Subarus. Not compared to a traditional inline 4.

I have a buddy that was looking at outbacks a couple years ago after his Honda pilot was totalled. Many of the ones he was looking at were not properly maintained and I had him steer clear of them. The 4cylinder outback he ended up buying is clean and reliable, and he only gets guff from me because he's a guy driving an outback. He even uses that outback to launch his 17' I/0 runabout boat. That's a big ask of that subie, but he lives an 1/8th of a mile from the launch, so he's not beating on it long.
    Another college friend of mine got a then new 3.6 flat 6 outback ( most are flat 4, 2.5 l) loaded one for his wife. That thing was a lemon, but compared to the Passat vr6 all track wagon that she had before that it was "reliable" at least. You know, real world experience not engineering and then on to the next project;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Ugg. Can't like that. I speed, but within reason, and only if conditions dictate. But there's idiots that drive like you described, and they cause accidents and end up involving others in their stupidity.

I had to drive up to the cabin up north, and on my way I saw plenty of bad drivers in hurries on my way up 200 miles to the north.

I also saw a first for me, a dead black bear just 10 miles south of the cabin on the side of the highway. Not a big bear, but not a cub either. I'm sure that was a scary moment for the driver (s) and obviously the bear.

4. Horkn

Horkn

5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Me too, and judging by what we see here, it’s true. Have no idea why.

6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Real world experience beats most reviews because the car or truck is lived with doing regular duty. It seems anything mechanical breaks down more often now than they did years ago and it costs way more to fix. All the more reason to keep up on maintenance.

7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

8. Horkn

Horkn

It goes wayyyy back. 11sMnEj.jpg

Another buddy of mine, his wife just got a new outback for a work car (salesperson). And I gave her the same hard time about these cars.

9. Warner

Warner

BFBA3AFB-5F8C-4290-BBDB-5CDF4B318461.jpeg Nothing is “easy” anymore.

10. Horkn

Horkn

Lol, no it's not, but just imagine if you had head bolts on both sides buried against the subframe and other fun parts.

11. Warner

Warner

Like certain year v6 fusions you have to remove the subframe and power train to replace the water pump. Fun times.

12. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Thanks...

Dad said something earlier about he seems the healthiest he's been for a while...
    They say sometimes engines run the best just before they blow up, I wonder if it's much the same thing going on with grandfather.

He's not using his oxygen, he's smoking, he's not taking his meds, and we had to remove the hospital bed they gave him and give him back a regular bed. That part I can undertsan, it did not look comfortable at all, was too high for him getting in and out of, and I honestly don't see why he needed it.

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  13. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Happy birthday!

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

They trying to hide the fact that it still had "studs"...wouldn't go over well with their typical customer? :whistle:

Horkn, mat60, Chazsbetterhalf and 4 others like this.
  15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Thank you to all who wished me a happy birthday. Things are going well and really have nothing to complain about.

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 7 others like this.
  16. tree killer

tree killer

Well you must just light up the room when you walk in with all your knowledge. Must be really hard knowing so much about so many things that you really are clueless about. Good luck.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  17. tree killer

tree killer

Again smartest guy in the room right there.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey now, pizzin contests need to be held in the lil boys room. I'm sure both y'all are pretty fart smellers...'er, I mean smart fellers ;) :D
    images.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Horkn, mat60, Chazsbetterhalf and 8 others like this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

My friend in high school had this exact car.
    [​IMG]

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I remember them types, Lil newer, at that point in time. Exhaust and caliper and rotors were original equipment only and cost about 2 grand or about 1/3 of a brand new one