In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How are sales this year?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Ohio dave, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Last yr at this time I did half my annual sales in Sept-Oct. This year I'm not even advertising and still hard pressed to keep up. Not as busy as last yr but still sold out of seasoned wood.
    A new customer contacted me today ( don't know where he got my number from I'll ask tomorrow during delivery.) asked if I had anything. I told nothing fully seasoned right away he jumps to asking what green wood I had split. Is it as hard to find wood as last yr?

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

My sales have been very brisk. The campfire wood was very good & heating fuelwood is selling well. I'm assuming due to increased energy costs.

3. RGrant

RGrant

^ I bet that's a big part of it.
    My guess is that with so many folks being home last year they ran the fireplaces more since going out wasn't high on the list of things to do. I don't know how many people have wood stoves come to think of it.

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Around me, enough to keep me plenty busy for sure. No complaints about that.

5. jrider

jrider

Busy enough that I can't keep up.

6. texas4life2003

texas4life2003

Sold out of my seasoned wood as well and now selling partially seasoned and green if anyone wants it. I will be better prepared next year.

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

The only reason I can keep selling is all the dead Ash & Elm I have available. I can still make firewood to order, but it's a pain to keep up. I'm 6 loads behind right now.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Haven't sold a single split since spring...couple inquiry's, but that's it...everybody and their half brother has it for sale around here though...most of it "seasoned" :picard:...whatever, call me when you want dry wood. :salute:

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sales are normal for me. I picked up another store for bundles so up to five now. All within ten minutes of me. They are my year round regulars.
    Couple regulars wanted full cords which i obliged. I mostly do half cords. My two new black locust customers have yet to call. I have plenty of BL and hoping to PU more regulars for it.

Good problem to have Dave. IIRC you had storage issues a few months back. Have you offered customers pre split green so you dont have to stack and store it? I have one like that.
    Time to get :tree: :saw: :axe: :stacker: for next year.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yes, When it started Spring 2019 my bundles sales went way up. Lots of outdoor fires too.

11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Only had the one mentioned earlier take green, well semi-seasoned (1yr oak)

12. texas4life2003

texas4life2003

Where I live last year in Texas, we had a major freeze, you probably heard about the big power outages. So everyone seems to be stocking up early in case it happens again.

13. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I was actually working in Alabama then. It hit 17*F one night.

14. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I just started selling at the end of May so I don't have any history to compare to. I have more wood available than time to CSS (close to 2 cords of logs in the yard and 50 acres of woods with downed trees). This year's inventory will probably be gone before Thanksgiving, which is fine for me. I have about 85% of what I forecast to sell next year stacked to make bundles. I'll be getting into bulk wood before Christmas (for those who didn't plan ahead).

15. Joe’s Wood

Joe’s Wood

Selling 1.5-3 cords of fir/ponderosa a week(part time only). People are buying it like hot cakes in Colorado, can’t keep up! Increasing my price from 250 to 325 this week :). Goal next year is to have 100 cords ready to go, gonna be a busy winter!

Anybody have a good recommendation on conveyer belts?

16. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I use a 30' hay elevator. Gas powered if that helps.

17. Mykidsdadd

Mykidsdadd

Havent sold a stick.... been super mild. Couple cool days and they are talking near 80 tomorrow. NE Oklahoma

18. Ridgeviewfarm

Ridgeviewfarm

This is the best year ever ,we cant keep up .We are 2 weeks out on deliveries and are cutting/ splitting as much as we can to keep up. The firewood part of the business has been growing every year .I need to upgrade our processing equipment but the equipment is hard to get, massive back logs?

19. woody5506

woody5506

Really been back and forth with the idea of selling wood but this thread kind of makes me want to try, but its hard enough to keep up with my own 3 year plan. Even just to sell a couple cords a year maybe would be nice. I do know I'd be the only one around selling actual seasoned wood though. Everyone else splits and sells the same year for the most part.

20. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

from what my customers at the saw shop tell me they are pretty much sold out already of dry wood it is interesting ,there is wood lying everywhere tree services are having trouble getting rid of ash ,
    but there are people buying wood instead of splitting themselves I guess they need that free time to go work out at the gym :rofl: :lol: way to many lazy people anymore . The good side of that is you can get 300.00 a cord around here . JB