In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Midwinter

Midwinter

Mt Washington got snow. IMG_20211020_5323.jpg

bogieb, Horkn, mat60 and 9 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

5 gal if you mean for the fuel. We can get off-road fuel at a gas station about 7 miles from us.

Horkn, mat60, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

I did get some wood moved yesterday. Now there is enough wood in the barn and in a couple totes to get me through the winter but I will still bring some to the porch with the tractor until the snow piles up or until my body quits.

The weather yesterday was about as perfect as one could ask. It could be a repeat today before a big change.

Midwinter, bogieb, Horkn and 10 others like this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

Sooner or later it will be time to start moving my firewood in under cover Backwoods Savage .

682A64CD-5144-49E3-91B7-F38024CFBF6C.jpeg
    I’ll get started on it next Monday I think. I have a little over 3 face cord still under the porch to get started with. I may decide to start having a fire in the evening and heat the boiler and big tank up to provide a little heat and hot water. Going to have a couple nights down in the 30s.

5. Backwoods Savage

Sooner might be the best option. :yes: Weather looks to be heading for a big change.

Was supposed to be like yesterday here but it is raining. Started a small fire to take the chill and dampness out. Might be having constant fires here in a couple days.

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 5 others like this.
  6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

We’re getting that nice weather today and tomorrow with the change coming right after. We got some of the two year seasoned wood moved closer to the house in anticipation of the winter snows. The newer wood will go in its place. I’ve been trying to do a little bit every day so I don’t set off an arthritic flare. So far, so good. Next will be cleaning the flue. Haven’t had to use the furnace and burn that expensive oil. I saw the price at the gas station this morning and it was $3.46 for regular and $4.04 for premium, which our SUV uses.

Midwinter, bogieb, Horkn and 8 others like this.
  7. savemoney

savemoney

I really love the smell of pine needle exp. when the sun is on them. That area is perfect for that experience.

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Nice looking wood wall ya got there, Gas. The temps overnight here are still in the 50s. At least for this week.

9. savemoney

savemoney

Slow and easy does it. Stick to it and you will have it done. Great satisfaction when you accomplish getting your "to do's" done.

10. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I have all intentions of taking it slow. It did feel good getting something done off the winter list. As long as we get it done before the snow flies.

11. savemoney

savemoney

:handshake:

Horkn, mat60, yooperdave and 4 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Good to hear you are working at it Al. The price of gas is up all over now. The highest I paid on my recent trip was $3.46 in PA. The highest I saw was also in PA at #3.539

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  13. Gasifier

Gasifier

Here is my screenshot of our next 10 day forecast…..
    DF05BC12-2282-4680-8D62-BBB1088FD313.png
    Not too bad. I think I’ll starting to burn next week, but just at night time when needed.

14. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Thanks, Dennis. It felt good getting something done for a change. I actually felt fine physically afterward. Taking it one day at a time.

I can see gas going up for a while rot come. Glad we don’t have to commute to work anymore. :D

Midwinter, bogieb, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  15. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

A stretch of nights in the thirties will means fires at night once it does that here. It’s only a matter of time before we have to start burning.

Midwinter, Horkn, mat60 and 4 others like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

What do you drive? Not many vehicles require premium these days...it may be recommended, but not often required...running regular may reduce performance slightly, but not enough that most people would even notice.
    Is Premium Gas Worth It? We Test High Octane on 4 Popular Vehicles

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

There is a town that is still at 3.09 gallon here.

Nice, but I don't live there. Only pass through on occasion.

18. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Hi everyone. Gorgeous day in Southern Vermont. Had firewood fever all week.

Started the morning with stacking the dump truck load of splits cut and split a couple of days ago. At first I was going to dump it but after lowering the sides and tailgate it was a nice height to work with. A pickaroon made easy work of what I couldn’t reach by hand.
    [​IMG]
    Then loaded the two totes and two full bags from last winter on the truck and moved them up by the shop. I’m not too happy with the bags. Though they have drain holes and I left the top open the butternut splits I had in one I stacked this morning in the shed was still wet and the bark though coming of left a nasty gooey mess on the outside of the splits. I hope it’ll dry by January in the shed. I’m putting it to the back.
    [​IMG]

These will go on the porch and in the 2 cord shed for winter’s start. Stacked, not left in the bags or totes. The Queen has spoken.
    Her Highness has also decreed not till Thanksgiving though since the porch I built from the ground up this summer has been decorated for fall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can’t move into the firewood shed yet even as that was also victim of a hostile takeover. I did slip some stacking in to the right behind one of the rockers. Maybe she won’t notice.
    [​IMG]

With a black walnut tree in the yard and the nuts falling, I’ve been having to watch all the equipment for unwanted tenants(squirrels). They are bad. But I found my chopping block has become their “splitting table” lately.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

In the walls that I added in the basement, I installed a total of 10 outlets. I got those finished and wired in at the panel today.

Then, had to clean the washer hose debris screen once again. This time, I flushed out the washer hose....like I should have last time! :picard:

20. rottiman

rottiman

Stripped the Kubota of it's lawn maintenance attachments today (Mower deck, Vac system and front end loader) Serviced the mower deck and vac system for next year. Then gave the tractor a good bath in preparation for servicing tomorrow. Once I get it serviced, I can install the front lift/drive system for using either the p/a plow or snow blower. Bring on old man winter.

upload_2021-10-20_15-18-55.jpeg