In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. scajjr2

scajjr2

Actually cause Lori handles all the bills I didn't realize we've been using a 3rd party for electric delivery for 3 years through Resident Power which finds delivery providers. We've had First Point Power for the past couple years. We can stay with them and pay $.0949/Kwh guaranteed for 3 years.

Eversource and Liberty will be going up in Feb 2022.

sam

IHATEPROPANE, imacman and bogieb like this.
  2. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

You can have mine as well...
    They can be pretty destructive..

Dan

3. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Update on skunk total.

Dan

4. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

5. GHinNH

GHinNH

"locked in" 5 ton last week, lucky it's a big garage.

Both house stoves clean and serviced, chimneys brushed. I even took out the ancient leaky plenum FHA furnace in the garage and installed the PP130 I took out of the house when I upgraded to the Lopi as primary heat.
    20211014_082631.jpg

6. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

Not to hijack this thread Scot but I heard about a fire at the MWP plant yesterday. Hoping all is ok and no one was hurt…..

7. imacman

imacman

With the current administration in Washington, DC, and what they've done to the energy industry in the US, I think the AP is correct this time. :mad:

8. PelletHound

PelletHound

I predict wood and pellet stove sales are going to go through the roof this winter.But like everything else there will be shortages and empty showrooms.:hair::headbang:

9. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Have 2 tons in storage. Lilky grab at least 1 ton next week from a BB store, and possibly another top tier for the cold weather.

IHATEPROPANE, imacman and bogieb like this.
  10. Earl764

Earl764

This is a global energy issue, not specific to the US. I know folks like to blame whatever political party is in power (doubly so if they don’t like them) but specifically in the US the natural gas issues are not caused by any specific administration.

A number of gas firms closed for maintenance when they should have been building capacity for winter , we’re exporting huge amounts to europe, and the colonial pipeline fallout.

I have to write root cause analysis documents as part of my job. Pesky facts get in the way of heated political opinions and it always bugs me to see it…

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and MtDew like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi Pellet Pigs. I need a new oak tube. We've had one for the last 7 years with black plastic and fiberglass insulation around the outside and it's a pita and gross. Is this okay? (It's so dry here I'm not too concerned about condensation).

12. bogieb

bogieb

I would not use that for the part near the stove anyway. And looking at the reviews, the foil is not as robust as most would like. I would use this type of semi-rigid duct. assume you have a 4" OAK since that is what your link showed. You can also get the semi-rigid ducts in smaller diameter.

13. bogieb

bogieb

The prices for standard heating fuel are going up, for sure. According to NH Gov, so are pellet prices (by about $10/ton (average). I would say that is about right in what I've seen just buying from the local TSC. Here are the price comparisons - October 2020 on top, and the 2nd picture is this October.

heating fuel costs.JPG

Heating fuel costs October 2021.JPG

Still, pellets are way cheaper than propane, which is what my boiler runs off of. And note, that the propane prices that they show are not nearly what a home owner would pay. Here are the bids for my town winter fuel costs in the BOS meeting minutes a couple of weeks ago. I'm not complaining, the taxpayers buy the town's heating fuel one way or another. I'm just using this to illustrate how the average propane cost shown as $3.55/gal is misleading as municipal usage is affecting that average hugely.

Town propane prices winter 2021 - cheap.JPG

I would expect to pay at least $5.50+/gal as I was in 2113/2014 - I had my first pellet stove installed January 2014 because of the extra house payment I was spending each month on propane.

14. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

For certain..
    The two somewhat local stores have verified this..
    Not to mention the new pellet customers we have seen...

Dan

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks twice BB, and your comment made me look it up, it's NOT 4". I'll get a semi rigid one ordered in the right size, 3" :)
    upload_2021-10-15_9-24-51.png

16. bogieb

bogieb

17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

x2 Hope you had a great day sub!! :)

18. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

Yes, everyone is fine and we're running again.
    Some subcontractors grinding where they shouldn't be caught some dust on fire in an outside building. It was contained to that area but got large enough to melt some wires in a cable tray. It took a couple days to replace the wiring.
    If there's visible flame, we have to call the fire department and let them have at it (OSHA). Several fire departments tend to come because they don't know how big the fire will be until they get here.
    The good news is: the wood we're using to make your pellets is very flammable.

19. imacman

imacman

X3!

20. gbreda

gbreda

X4 subbie !