In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fuel for thought

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by LordOfTheFlies, Oct 11, 2021.

  1. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I don't use my chainsaws that often. They sit more than they are used for sure. I used Motomix 50:1 when I first got the 028. Then I got some VP 50:1 because it was on sale at $20 per gallon. I don't like the exhaust smell of VP. Going back to Motomix. It's worth it in my mind.

    Here's a great video on how bad gas station gasoline is.

     
  2. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,332
    Location:
    Central PA
    If you're storing your saws long term, you are absolutely better off using a shelf-sold fuel. You can always dump that shelf-bought fuel back into its original can and use a good non-eth mix and when finished up with the saw, dump the non-eth mix back into its container and put the shelf fuel back in, run it for 30 seconds or so, and shelf the saw again.

    I run my saws constantly, but even so I still only use non-ethanol 90 octane in ALL of my OPE, and I'm even picky on where I purchase that at.
     
    PA Mountain Man and Chud like this.
  3. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    Yeah I'd have to pay a toll of $12 just to find non-ethanol fuel and drive at least 30 minutes one way. Not worth it it to me. You just can't get it easily here. I already tried getting in touch with the local small airport. No dice - they won't sell it to a homeowner. Only to fill aircraft up.

    Plus the peace of mind knowing that the fuel is always mixed properly is nice. Expensive, but nice.