In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Trailer Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by bogieb, Sep 3, 2021.

1. XXL

XXL

Nice find! I hadn't read to the end of the thread when I suggested renting :picard:

A very sturdy looking trailer. Is that Trex decking on it?

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Easiest way I found was to start a firewood & tree removal business. Then you have an excuse to buy trucks & trailers. :picard: 20210913_174851.jpg 20210903_195109.jpg 20210921_170756.jpg bogieb , that was a good find on that trailer. Good buy for sure!

MikeInMa, mat60, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

GOOD EYE! Yes, that is Trex.

Used it for the first time yesterday on a chore, that in the past, I have used my SUV's. I cleared out invasive roses and other plants/brush from the drainage ditch between my place and the former swamp next door. Sure, before getting the trailer I would have used the Explorer. But, this was a wet, stinking mess. Since this is a new-to-me truck that is in excellent shape inside and out, and I have the means now, I opted for keeping that mess on the outside of my truck.
    First Trailer use 10-9-21.jpg

Now I just gotta get my brain to do the conversion when backing it up. The people at the brush pile at the dump got a good laugh out of my efforts I'm sure :doh:

MikeInMa, mat60, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Don't worry, that just comes with practice. It's better when no one is watching too. You'll get the hang of it!

mat60, bogieb, Horkn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, practice helps a ton.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Very true...I grew up on a farm so was fine with backing gravity wagons and haywagons up, which make two wheel trailers seem like a childs game, but when I went to get my CDL I wanted to make sure I was ready for the backing part of the driving test so I spent a couple hours backing a dump truck and equipment trailer around a driveway that goes around a squarish 5 acre pond...helped a lot in getting used to how that particular truck/trailer reacted to turns...took 2 tries to pass the test BTW...not because of backing up though.

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, a 4wheeled hay wagon, chopper box, gravity wagon is a whole different deal. Tractors generally turn quicker than a truck too. That's how I learned too. A trailer really isn't a big learning curve then. Gooseneck or 5th wheel is really where it's at imo.

8. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I believe it is 82"

bogieb, Horkn, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  9. mat60

mat60

I have had allot of trailers so backing comes easy for long trailers but the smaller ones are harder.. What I find funny is sometimes I can back under the ball in the first try and other times it may take me 5 times..:picard: You got a good deal on your trailer. Enjoy .

10. bogieb

bogieb

Gotta admit, if I didn't have the back up camera, I'd still be trying to get that sucker lined up :rofl: :lol:.

I've never really used the camera before besides a general sweep before backing, then I use the side view mirrors and turn to look out the back window. When I got my previous Explorer I found I liked the proximity warning as my reaction time is faster. The former owner of my current Explorer had that warning set to off, and I turned it back on. I'm pretty sure I know why it was set to off now, backing up with the trailer means the rear proximity warning is constantly going off. I can live with that though.