In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New saw came home with me today. Surprise Honey.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Cold Trigger Finger, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Without even trying I ended up with a new 271 Stihl today. Well , it's used. It has had 1 YUP ONE tank of saw gas run thru it. I know because this summer I started this saw for the owner so they could do some cutting with it. Once it ran out of fuel . They refueled it and tried to start it and couldn't.
    After the guy bought the saw. While it was still nib . He had major health problems and complications. Has not regained much of his former strength.
    I will make sure they have plenty of firewood for the winter.
    In the long run , it's not a great financial deal. But, they are new to the area and this early winter really put the crimp on a lot of people's plans. Mine included. IMG_20211008_185146104.jpg

2. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

They got a baby Husky this summer that they can start so they aren't saw less.
    I think it's a 435 or something.
    If half decent chisel chains were available for the baby saws , they would do good or at least much better than what they do with the chipper chain they come with.

Chaz, Screwloose, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've cut many cords with my 435, over the years. It's a nice homeowner saw. :thumbs:

Chaz, Screwloose, metalcuttr and 5 others like this.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Well, you may "lose" a bit on the deal making firewood for a second house hold, but you would've done that anyway, so there's that. As to the full chisel, I know I got full chisel .043 gauge for my 020 & 011 saws, not sure what the gauge & DL count is on the 435, but I'd think you could get full chisel in the Stihl chains?

Chaz, Screwloose, moresnow and 4 others like this.
  5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'll put a floating rim and run 325 on this 271 until I wear out the bar then switch to 3/8 .

Chaz, Screwloose, M2theB and 3 others like this.
  6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I jointed and sharpened it up this afternoon. Even with the semi chisel chain on it. It cuts pretty good . And it's real smooth. Very little vibration. So that's good . I like the saw. When I put a floating rim drum and 7 tooth rim on it . And get some chisel chain in 3/8 for it along with a 3/8 bar. I'll prolly use it quite a bit. Save the 251s for when my arms are tired or I'm working at the mill.
    Only thing I'm not keen on is I can't find an oiler adjustment on it. It doesn't seem to use a tank of oil for a tank of gas. I like to use lots of oil. Even so, bars and chains don't last long enough.

7. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Agreed. I have used one quite a bit and was impressed. Should be a good match for small diameter Alaska trees.

8. SAWMIKAZE

SAWMIKAZE

Where did you get full chisel chain in .043 gauge ?

Chaz, Screwloose and amateur cutter like this.
  9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Local Stihl dealer here got it for me 2-3 years back. It's 3/8 low pro.

Chaz and Screwloose like this.
  10. MAF143

MAF143

I just got 2 full chisel chains for my nephew's 435 a couple weeks ago. I converted them to square filed and then showed him how to square file. He caught on to the square filing real quick.

The 435 with the square filed full chisel and a muffler mod is a nice little runner. :yes:

11. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Are you sure it's .043? I've been out of the game awhile but I've never seen 61PS series chain (assuming it was Stihl chain). 63PS and 63PS3 were available (and good chain at that!) but those are 3/8P .050" which was the more common pitch/gauge for the 011 and 020.

12. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Sorry, you are correct. I got way too many saws/bars/chains, for the limited amount of remaining brain cells.:rofl: :lol:

13. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I bucked several rounds with the 271 the other day when I bucked up 4 cord with my 572. It did great for what it is. As it's still a new saw, only has a couple tanks run thru it. It still 4 strokes some . But that's ok . In another few tanks I'll turn it up a little. Then when it is fully broke in I'll set it. I do like that the handles are farther apart than the 026/260 . I don't know about the 261 as I've never run one of them.
    For the softer wood that we have here. A 20" bar is a good match for it . Like the 16" is for the 251.

amateur cutter likes this.