Clams are a mile and about 7 hours from where they were dug. My mother grew the patty pans. And the beef was $6.99 at the only grocery on this island.
A kind of squash. They are really good. Kind of like a cross between yellow or zucchini and acorn. It has summer squash flavor with some firmness like a winter squash so they aren't as mushy and loose as zucchini is when you cook it. You eat the skin.
Wheres the hot dog? Looks good man I hope you've got a nice butter sauce or something for those clams
Oops. My daughter ordered up the dog after I took the photo. And it's all been eaten, there is no going back.
This is just the beginning. I'm going to go to the salt pond and will get many more clams before this vacation is over. It is so addictive pulling that rake through the mud. Feeling a rock like ding and pulling up a clam. I can only imagine what the marshes were like a few hundred years ago. Instead of hitting a clam every minute or two you could have pulled out piles with every pull of get rake. I only had two doubles today and until I got in deeper I wasn't pulling up anything.
cep'n for the squash, theres just about enough food there to feed me.......don't really know what everyone else is gonna have.....well, they can have the squash......
We found a beach one summer up in the Central Coast area that was just full of 2" to 3" clams. Every time you stepped onto the beach, there would be fountains of water going up everywhere. Campinspecter dug a hole about 13" across and we pulled 30 clams out of it. We aren't clam eaters so we put them all back and covered them up. We also were in an area with a red tide algae bloom so we didn't want to take any chances. It sure was fun digging them up. When we were in Oregon last year, the razor clams were being harvested. Because it is all sand, they used what looked like 4" sewer pipe with a cap on one end. The cap had a handle and vent hole. you pushed the tube down into the sand, put your finger over the hole and then pulled the tube out of the sand. When you took your finger off the vent hole, out came the sand and hopefully some razor clams. It was fascinating to watch. Sounds like you are having a great vacation!! Thanks for sharing.