In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Smokey mustard based barbQ sauce

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Hoytman, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

How many like it?

First time I had it was years ago at a place called Smokey Bones. Killer sauce!!!! It’s my favorite.

metalcuttr and OhioStihl like this.
  2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My wife and I are at “Sonnys” in Richmond Kentucky last weekend. It is a chain restaurant BBQ joint. They have pretty good mustard sauce. I like a dry rub the most but I do enjoy mustard based sauce too.

metalcuttr and Unclefish like this.
  3. Unclefish

Unclefish

Sonny's sweet sauce is one of my all time favorites..
    I also do like the mustard Bbq sauces also.

metalcuttr likes this.
  4. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Recipes?:)

metalcuttr likes this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

On top of every bite of...squeezed on straight out of the bottle...

-McDonalds double cheeseburgers
    -Chicken McNuggets
    -Fresh hickory smoked grilled chicken
    -Fresh hickory smoked grilled pork chops
    -Baked chicken in the oven
    -Right straight off of a spoon by itself. LOL!

Would likely be good for breakfast in a big smoked ham steak too.

Went back to get more at the store and they were totally sold out. I bet I buy a case when I find it again. LOL!

Haven’t gotten to mop it on anything yet while smoking meats. Honestly, I think it will be a sauce that is best applied to hot meats right after taking them off the grill or smoker, but time will tell if it will work as a mopping sauce.

I could drink it straight out of the bottle.

6. Eckie

Eckie

So is it the smokey bones sauce that you're so in love with right now? Or a different brand?

metalcuttr and Hoytman like this.
  7. Hoytman

Hoytman

Different brand. Haven’t had the Smokey Bones sauce in years.

63E79875-6D86-431A-99E2-3244AF83A741.jpeg

It’s sweet, but perfectly Smokey as well. From memory it seems close to the Smokey Bones sauce, but the reality is that it may be totally different. Either way, this stuff is fabulous.

metalcuttr and Eckie like this.
  8. Hoytman

Hoytman

I will add that I don’t even care for the original SBR’s sauce. Oh sure, I can eat it and wouldn’t complain. I also wouldn’t grab for it if I were cooking. I’m not a regular BBQ sauce type of person...well I am...but I prefer two home made recipes by far to any store bought tomato based BBQ sauce that I can buy. However that mustard sauce is worth buying by the case, or by the gallon. LOL!

9. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have always preferred the tomato or chili based sauces leaning toward the sweeter ones. Based on your enthusiastic recommendation I'll keep an eye out for the SBR Mustard sauce. I could certainly go for a sweet mustard sauce if done right!

Hoytman, eatonpcat and Eckie like this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Make note...this is NOT a honey mustard dipping or BBQ sauce that most like. I do not like honey mustard at all. This is sweet, and Smokey...just like a good hickory smoked pork chop and has quite the smoke flavor like heavily smoked meat.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of McDonalds spicy mustard dipping sauce, but not quite as spicy, a touch more sweetness with a lot of added smoke flavor.

If you do try it, come back and let us know your thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.
  11. Eckie

Eckie

20211002_113746.jpg
    Hoytman, can yall get Sticky Fingers up your way? I've had one or two of their other sauces before and really liked them, so figured I'd try their mustard sauce. It's pretty good, even though I believe my taste still has some lingering effects from Rona. Been a while since I've had the SBR Mustard, but I think this one may not be quite as sweet....

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I love any smoked meat. But sauces don't need (liquid/fake) smoke flavor added.
    I like any bbq sauce. Mustard, sweet, vinegar. You name it, I like it. But only to compliment the meat, not to flavor the meat.
    Mmmmm...bbq:drool:

13. Eckie

Eckie

Yeah, BBQ is my favorite food group. I think meat should be good w/o sauce, but I love sauces, especially sauces at restaurants. I like some store bought sauces, but most taste too processed or someting to me, not sure how to define it...

We did go to a fairly famous VA bbq place years ago, ordered and sat down waiting on food, bout slobbering on myself in anticipation. I always start sampling sauce(s) as soon as I can, even without the food... Tasted their sauce and slammed on brakes, wife said "what's wrong?". Told her I didn't know if I was supposed to put the sauce on bbq or apple pie. It had cinnamon or something along that line in it, and was very weird. Probably the biggest let down at a bbq place. Meat was pretty decent. But if you're famous, I expect you to have a good sauce as well....
    Oh, and good hushpuppies.....

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

For me, it's chili powder or cumin. Neither one belongs in bbq sauce.
    And a lot of "famous" bbq joints use chili powder in sauce.

Attached Files:

15. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

exactly!!! cant stand it!!

metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I like chili powder. IN CHILI !
    LOL

I'm ok with a little cinnamon too, but everyone seems to think a lot of cinnamon is better. Yuck! Why do people put so much cinnamon in stuff. Our friend brought us an apple pie last week. She's a great cook. But i couldn't eat it with so much cinnamon...

17. Hoytman

Hoytman

Not sure if we can or not. I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Scored 4 more bottles of the SBR mustard sauce the other day. Have enough money oblast me a while now.

18. Hoytman

Hoytman

I hear you. I typically will not hardly ever even use a many sauces. I like things grilled or smoked right of the grill with natural smoke flavor in the meat. Rarely will I even use a steak sauce on steak.

Let me ask you this though...
    When was the last time you had a chicken nugget or nasty old double cheeseburger to taste like it was grilled and/or smoked. Get my point?

When you can’t get food with smoke flavor, this will bring it to it, no matter what it is...and it’ll taste just like the food off of your grill or smoker...as close as it can be being fake. That’s a plus to me on some foods...even a plain old empty spoon. LOL!