In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Coal chimney liner

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sirchopsalot, Sep 10, 2021.

  1. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    Im planning on installing a coal stove this fall. The existing masonry chimney is unlined. I thought I read here that ss liners are not recommended for coal stoves due to the acidic content of the fly ash.

    However, naked bricks are not acceptable either. Even if I rip the chimney to the roof line, I'm not sure I could shove or secure chimney tiles down that far.

    Im looking at finding a 4 or 5" ss liner. Maybe to include a damper in the flue. Anyone have recommendations as to the best liner (ss, insulated etc)?

    Sca
     
  2. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,121
    Likes Received:
    163,235
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    316Ti liners are approved for coal. If you go with a liner do the insulation on it too...better performance and then you know for sure you meet CTC requirements.
    4 or 5"...are you sure? That's an odd size...
     
    eatonpcat likes this.
  3. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    I hadn't measured it till just now, but looks like 5".
    Yes definitely insulated...its inside the building but on a north facing exterior wall.

    Good info. Thank you!!
    20210911_072306.jpg
     
    brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.