In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Almost a full load of Shagbark Hickory and Mulberry!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Jun 13, 2021.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    ....wheelbarrow load that is. Sorry guys, ya’ll have been too quiet these past few days. :D A few days ago a I pruned a Mulberry tree behind my mother’s house that had some low hanging limbs. I would’ve preferred to wait until after the berries ripened but hey, not my call. After taking a load of brush to the dump I saved a couple Mulberry sticks just to say I have some in my stacks. Come fall I’ll be doing heavier pruning on that tree anyway. Then today I came across a roadside dead barkless hickory limb that the bugs were enjoying. Excuse me fellas, I know you’re hungry and all but my stove’s got to eat too. Bucked that up and away I went. Nice easy extremely light duty summer hoarding :cool: If I keep this pace up maybe the universe will throw another tree-downing tropical storm this way just to spite me.
    F2E0C7A3-3D76-4F8E-B119-2A293508854D.jpeg
     
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Ya had me with that title! :heidi: I was like "yeah baby" then i saw the pic.
    Start a new thread "Loaded Wheelbarrow Pics"
    A little wood is better than none!
     
  3. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,265
    Likes Received:
    54,144
    Location:
    NC
    That’s a hanging curve ball for Eric.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    How about a catagory five hurricane! :whistle:
     
  5. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Woah buddy! I’m not looking to be peeking out from cracks in the plywood trying to fend off the looters or anything :confused:
    But a repeat of last summer with a few days of pandemonium would be a good excuse to get busy cutting
     
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,862
    Likes Received:
    121,495
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Too darn hot to even think about farwood right now. :whistle:
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I agree but the hoarder runs too deep in me!
     
  8. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,862
    Likes Received:
    121,495
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Right! I say that but if a monster oak is listed free close to me I’d be on it. As long as it’s below about 85ish I can tolerate. Anything over that and there has to be shade or a nice breeze.
     
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    When i read that im thinking tree diameter and was like dam he does like em BIG! :rofl: :lol:
     
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,862
    Likes Received:
    121,495
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Horeey sheet! That is, um, big. Wait, did I just leave a door open?
     
    Horkn and amateur cutter like this.
  11. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    A little at a time.....is easier to handle....and adds up quickly! I scrounged a few truckloads recently and before I knew it I had a nice stack of rounds that needed to be split! Have not had the pleasure of splitting hickory yet but it's on my bucket list!

    Had a friend come over to hang out and we drank a beer while I split (first time doing that - I seldom drink) and then I made him help me stack three carts of splits and made him sweep up the debris.

    I gave him a 46" 120hz 1080p Samsung LCD tv that was given to me by another neighbor who upgraded to 4k........so it was a fair deal in my book. :salute:

    Slow and steady wins the race.
     
  12. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I only hand split a few hickory rounds last year... and quickly fired up the splitter. For me it came down to do I want to struggle or do I want to make firewood? I'm at the point now where I don't need to hoard anything, so I'm being very selective on what/how much I bring home. There's no shortage of other things around the house I could be doing. I'm sure in the fall I hit it hard again.
     
  13. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I have become very selective in the rounds I take home. I try not to take home any crotches, shorties, or knotties if I can help it. I also try to buck my own rounds so that they are somewhat uniform.....and since I hit it so hard the last year I can afford to be more picky in my pickings. :D It's good to have standards. Heh heh. I was just telling my friend today that splitting nice, straight, uniform rounds is faster than a splitter (for most species I get minus elm, pin oak, and green spruce/pine) but at the same time it really is nice to have the option to whip out the splitter when needed. I wonder what the hickory smells like..... :D
     
  14. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Another “full load” of Mulberry today. I was driving past one of my scrounging sites, city property with a large NO DUMPING sign where people love to dump wood, yard waste and sometimes lumber. Lo and behold I saw these sticking out of a pile of wood chips. Not much, but any amount of mulberry is welcome in my stacks.
    094FAE70-83AE-4260-B217-2AAA7A769DA0.jpeg
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nice. :thumbs: i wouldve grabbed it too. Reminds me of my last mulberry scrounge at the dump. Is that the same place where you found all those deck boards?
     
  16. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Yep, same place. People dump all sorts of stuff there. You could say I’m just “doing my civic duty” by retrieving some of it :D
     
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I used those 2x6's you gave me a couple weeks ago for a halfcord rack. Is there more to be had there?
     
  18. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,567
    Likes Received:
    67,904
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Nice! Yeah there’s more. Some longer, some short. I can grab some more if you need any.
     
  19. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    A score is a score! Whether it's 10 cord or otherwise. Nice!

    I literally finished the last of wood....only to get a call the next day from a buddy who has a buddy with a bunch of cherry that he doesn't want. Lmfao. I just can't get away from it!!! Hahahahaha.
     
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,789
    Likes Received:
    215,247
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Doesnt that seem to be the case. Scores just seem to find usas though we have "WOOD HOARDER" tattooed on our foreheads!