Got the machine here & set up. Ran a few test logs and I'm sorry to report I'm not thrilled. As you can see above, I had to add blocks to get the infeed conveyor legs stable. This thing would set up nicely in a flat paved parking lot. I just don't have one in my wood yard. The conveyor was a nightmare to deploy due to the little hard plastic wheels not wanting to roll in the softish ground. I ended up putting the forks under it. As you can see by the split length it's difficult to get consistent length due to the machine not having a solid stop for the log, just a little dingus hanging down at a supposed 22" max. I like 24" for the boiler. Split size is on me while I got used to the wedge height adjustment. The splitter is a detent both ways, but no auto cycle, hence when it hits full stroke the handle simply snaps back to neutral & hurts like hell if your hand is in the way. Don't forget to cycle it back before cutting another round or you've got a nasty jam with no real access to clear it. The blocks & cables for conveyor height are perfectly located to crack your forehead on while trying to reach in & clear the jam. I will keep a long prybar near the machine tomorrow. The log clamp does not hold the last piece reliably & twice it dropped into the split trough & was too long to split. Digging that out was no fun either. I'll get more pics tomorrow & hopefully get some better results. At this point I'm making way better firewood with my saws & splitter. Oh and the conveyor doesn't pivot either so you've either gotta move wood or the machine to make a big pile. So far way too much $$$ for what it does. Stay tuned.
Refresh the page Brad, I just put in a longer edit. Posted pics from phone, but easier to type on the 'puter.
I see it know. That stinks even more. Id feel the same way, but knowing now you'll be a little more prepared for it tomorrow. Hope it goes better for ya.
I'm not sure I'll make it down there today but after reading your post it makes me want to really try to get there.
If you got an extra $150k you could get the Eastonmade 60c by winter 23/24. I hope you get better production out of the rental today.
That sounds like a nightmare, hopefully things smooth out today & you can at least feel like you are getting your money’s worth. What brand of processor is it? Maybe this will help others when comparing or looking at renting one for what to look for in processor options/conveniences.
Thanks, me too! I'll be running it tomorrow too Dennis. I wish I could've found one to rent & try out, they look to be a bit more capable machine. I will say the hydraulics on the Dyna are not lacking, they did do that right.
Dyna SC 16 made here in Michigan. I hope to give a better report later today as I learn the machine. I'm also hopeful my experiences both good & bad help fellow members.
Hoping it goes better for you AC, anyone else I would assume operators learning curve BUT after seeing your toys err tools I have to figure not as friendly of design
Well, complete fail! Ran for about 15 mins & threw a high voltage code. Mech came out & unhooked the alternator & ran it off a battery charger. That worked, but we tried 5-6 more straight poles in it & the feed setup still wouldn't allow proper length on the last piece, they just tipped off & stood up in the splitter. They suck to dig out. He then said that I could drop 3-4 of the smaller pieces in at once & split them all, tried that & jammed up the wedge good. At that point he got frustrated with it as well. He told me dyna had redesigned the machine & he didn't like it. He said no way it would work well for me so we packed it up & he took it back. Really sharp & helpful guy, shame Dyna failed so badly. This pic is changing the wedge. Thing weighs 100ish lbs. It drops down beyond cylinder travel so it has to be held up from inside the machine to put the pin in, 2 man job & a nasty thing to lift. On the bright side, this guy stopped buy and we had a great visit and lunch! It was good to see Backwoods Savage again! We then reset everything & went back to making firewood the hard way. 1 cord with the machine and about 3 more with my equipment. Spent about the same hours on both set ups. This processor is not the answer for my needs.
I mowed, cleaned up limbs down from storms, drained water off some stacks, laid out a row of pallets and said f it, no firewood will be made today.