In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Visited Woodstock

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

On my trip out east I did stop at the Woodstock Soapstone factory. Super busy there and some excellent people too.

2. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

Any talk of a N95 mask picnic in September?

3. Backwoods Savage

No, none expected this year.

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Glad you were able to go and stop by.

5. dirtdevil

dirtdevil

Glad that you made a trip East. Hope that you had an excellent trip.

6. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

I visited Woodstock on Saturday to help my X girlfriend secure an Absolute into her pick up. While there I couldn't pry the updated air control for my Progress out of their warm live hands. Since it was a Saturday no factory workers were there so I had a run of the place. A bunch of Progresses all made up as they were scattered about everywhere. All I could think of how many happy customers there will be in the near future.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Here I stopped to get a cat on Saturday cat E8E61A31-82B1-4788-9E2B-173D38975C1B.jpeg

didn’t see you Rearscreen

8. RGrant

RGrant

Every so often I go back to the website to browse around and day dream, and I have a question I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on something.
    Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the Ideal Steel was the big brother to the Absolute Steel and all the the figures I can find on their spec sheets indicate the Ideal is bigger, has more output potential, longer burn time and weights a good bit more. But it costs less-
    Unless I'm mixed up and have it backwards, does anyone know why the prices would be like that? Just curious.

9. Flamestead

Flamestead

I suspect, in part, they aim to have a competitively priced stove in each category, and don’t view themselves as the competition.

I’d guess assembly time is as important to cost as the materials are (I wouldn’t be surprised if the additional materials for the IS were a small difference in price). The PH has a ridiculous number of parts to stock and assemble as compared to the AS.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

^^. This plus I would imagine also; the number of sales of AS vs. IS and it has to take longer manufacture time to put smaller parts in smaller stove

11. billb3

billb3

I think the Ideal Steel is a little less expensive to build.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

RGrant you are not alone my friend. I do this often, I was just on their website the other day after seeing Eckie post. I day dream and built out the stove I'd want and it's between the IS and the Progress Hybrid. Both similar specs in sq ft heating area, burn times, etc.. but IS had a tab bit bigger firebox but looks like the Progress is all cast iron and soapstone but I think you can line IS with soapstone. Bigger price tag for progress but we are dreaming here right? LOL!

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

ReelFaster You are right the I S is a steel box with a soapstone lining. The progress hybrid, is a cast and soapstone stove. When I bought mine five years ago I liked the looks of the progress much better. But the IS was about half the price

14. Backwoods Savage

I still like the progress.