In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Got a rotisserie and gave it a whirl !

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by don2222, Aug 21, 2021.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Many new wood pellet grills have built in capability for a rotisserie now. However they do sell universal rotisserie kits that you can lay across most any grill and even though you cannot close the grill cover all the way, they actually work quite well!
    In my case I got the optional built in kit for our demo Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone Prime Plus that also fits the new Ledge and there is a larger kit that also fits the Jim Bowie Prime Plus and the new Peak grills.
    This kit has been improved because it comes with 2 sets of skewers to do 2 chickens at once! I found that chickens up to approx 5 lbs work quite well. The chickens should be tied up tight with kitchen twine available at your local market. The skewers should be pressed in tight and made real tight with a final twist using pliers so the heat does not make them come loose. Now try to get them centered so the they are balanced properly. The kit also comes with a counter balance weight which in my case with the weight of 2 - 5 lbs chickens was really necessary to hang down on the opposite side of the legs to keep the motor from stalling!
    The hardest part is getting them on the skewer correctly and I also cut a lime in half and stuffed it inside for some tasty added moistere.
    Then after the grill startup, I set it to 335 Degs but it seems around 300 to 350 for approx 3 hours is good. The meat probe makes it come out better so I stopped and checked and went it was 165 I pulled them off. They are very hot so mits are a must unless you use the fan to cool everything down.
    One Tip is to put a shallow pan to catch the drippings or use the drip bucket and then pour it back on the chicken. Also put the rub and seasonings oon the chicken after it is all tied up and mounted on the rod so the rub does not rub off in the process!
    Pic 1 - RotisserieChicken1-FireUpTheGMG
    Pic 2 - RotisserieChicken2-SetupTheCookProfile
    Pic 3 - RotisserieChicken3-TieChicks&InsertFreshLime
    Pic 4 - RotisserieChicken4-LoadChicks&SetCounterBalance
    Pic 5 - RotisserieChicken5-CheckRotation
    Pic 6 - RotisserieChicken6-CheckInternalTemp
    Pic 7 - RotisserieChicken7-CheckInternalTemp
    Pic 8 - RotisserieChicken8-AllDone
    Pic 9 - RotisserieChicken9-Slice&Enjoy
    If you have any more tips, let us know and Happy Grilling. :)

Great way to tie the chicken in this vid!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  2. moresnow

moresnow

Great info. I'd like to try this with my 3 or 4 year old D.Boone. I am not certain if there is a kit for it? Should have a look. Sounds like fun.

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

4. don2222

don2222

Just added the pics
    The Rotisserie kit is for the Daniel Boone Prime Plus but I saw a vid where the guy got a universal kit and just laid the rotisserie on the grill and closed the cover as much as he could. It worked just fine

5. Screwloose

Screwloose

Years ago my wife bought me a rotisserie that goes on our webber in between the grill and the lid.
    Did a Thanksgiving turkey once and it was awesome.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Looks delightful!

Chaz likes this.
  7. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I have some gift cards for Bass Pro. I'll have to think about a rotisserie for my Weber gas grill.

Thanks for the pics. Did the chicken meet expectations? Moist/dry?

Chvymn99, Chaz and Eckie like this.
  8. don2222

don2222

Yes the chicken was moist and cooked very evenly. Also a nice Smokey wood flavor. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021