Went to McDs this morning and my 13-year old daughter said "Hey daddy look at all that wood!" and wouldn't you know I saw this huge dumpster with a whole bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 on the side of it. The dumpster was full.....and the Dunkin' is doing some renos..... I don't mind if I do!!! I took home several 2x4 that were at 10' or 12' long, a whole bunch of 2x4 that were shorter, and a handful of 2x6 along with some pretty thin pallet boards. Took out all the screws and a few nails in this brutal heat wave and almost melted.....but got the job done and then somehow found room in my garage to store it all. The pile next to the dumpster is all the stuff I didn't take!
It looks like it has two laminated finish boards screwed into it to form a wedge of sorts on both sides. Not sure why they would use such nice pieces. I didn't have my impact driver but I might be tempted to go back and take more save for this crazy heat.....
They are building g a new development close by me. I have been scrounging off and on for a year and a half. Built my kids a tree house virtually for free and have a huge stack of lumber under cover for future projects.
It's been real hot and humid even though I'm in NY.....but I may go back tomorrow and see what's been added to the pile and/or taken away heh heh. A contractor guy rolled up and was like "Hey man that's a good idea!!!" hahahahaha. Yeah I was at HomeDepot just the other day and an 8' 2x4 stud was like $9.95 for Pete's sake!!!!! Ridiculous.
I just gave my tree guy an antique dresser.......and an antique looking small round side table.....and he is just like me - he picked up this rocking chair made by the Amish in PA just lying on the side of the road!!!! There's all kinds of stuff people throw away it's amazing.
I haven't bought 2"X lumber in well over a year. I was fortunate to have a decent stash that I've used very sparingly and I've had a few scrounges as well.