In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What do we call it?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Pricey106, Jun 17, 2021.

  1. Pricey106

    Pricey106

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2014
    Messages:
    628
    Likes Received:
    5,228
    Location:
    Northeast PA
    I told my wife that I got done with the Front/side of property work of yard art today. She replied with a usual " Mmmhhhmmm, is that what you are calling it now?" Yes, they are aging, valuable, burnable works of yard art. My property isn't too big, coming in at .65 of an acre, so I want to use the space efficiently. All my racks are right on the property lines, kind of a burnable fence. Currently up to 11 cords CSS, almost at the 3 year plan. 20210616_170957.jpg This is the yard art that is most visible from the front of my house. Total of 5 hours to Split, load in cart, and stack. Half black birch, half white oak. 20210616_171003.jpg The other 2 1/2 cords are a mix of ash, maple, oak, and black locust. These are all on the side of my house, and about 40 feet from the hatch to my indoor wood bin. I figure this is a good spot if I have to wheelbarrow it in, as in last year with too much snow to get around with the ATV and a loaded cart, or if for some reason my ATV is down. I will probably hit up half of the furthest stack this year just because it will be 3 years old. Darn it feels good knowing that you have enough wood for at least the next 2 winters, and all it cost was some gas, a bit of time and sometimes a whole lot of sweat.
     
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Those are nice wood fence stacks.:)

    If your need to always go to a particular spot with your ATV, and the snow can get a bit much, then start making trips right after the smaller snows happen, so you get a path beaten down. A tow behind ice fishing sled with wood in it packs the trail down so you can continue to use the ATV for this all winter, even if it snows a lot. But you need to keep on that after every 4-6" or so snow, unless you get tracks.;)
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    I consider them art, absolutely. Well my stacks look like art from a distance anyway. :) luckily they are about 500 feet from the road so it works for me. I think they look beautiful out there. I’ve had quite a few compliments on them from people that I know who drive by. Event thought about putting solar Christmas lights on them LOL. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,852
    Likes Received:
    121,366
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Stacks look great!
    I think you have to get to this level to call it art.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Biddleman

    Biddleman

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,069
    Likes Received:
    24,193
    Location:
    River Hills of Pennsylvania
    Looking good Pricey106 . I have had 2 cords of rounds and a couple logs sitting along our driveway for a month. I've been avoiding going up the hill to our stacks and trying to let grass and weeds grow on the trail because it's getting rutted out pretty good. I told my wife just consider those piles "homestead art." She said she wasn't worried about it. I think she has seen the firewood hoarder light.
     
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I guess I can call the current status of my unorganized stacks “abstract yard art.” :picard:

    I believe Backwoods Savage would concur. :hair:
    :handshake:
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    But the most important thing Eric is that it is firewood.
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,886
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Real nice stacks, uh, i mean works of art there Pricey! Maybe you can change your user name to "Picasso106"
    Any pics Eric? :ithappened: No pics it didnt happen!!!:whistle:
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    I have some pics but would not post them without Eric's permission.
     
  10. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,113
    Likes Received:
    163,181
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    E has pics of his stacks here n there on FHC already...I dun seened 'em...:binoculars:
     
  11. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Ya, there are pics from back in the past.... let’s remember the good times, shall we? :handshake:
     
  12. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,293
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Dang I can barely draw stick figures let alone come up with stuff like this.
     
    Pricey106, Ronaldo, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  13. Pricey106

    Pricey106

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2014
    Messages:
    628
    Likes Received:
    5,228
    Location:
    Northeast PA
    This year's issue was 28 inches in one storm. Unfortunately I am never home when it is snowing because of work.
     
    Midwinter likes this.