In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Pretty much finished up the lawn, Just need to pick up the hey piles and weed whack around the garage. Wifey wants to start adding her green thumb and get some flowers planted today. Pic's to fallow. :)

The rest of the yard chores(tree cutting-fencing ect.) will have to wait. I need to get busy getting stuff done on the inside.

She put up a few bird houses on Thursday. Friday I was cutting the field and was getting dive bombed by some nest builders(house swallows). She was worried she got them up too late. Yesterday we were sitting having lunch and notice a pair of bluebirds trying to get into a house that had too small of an opening. Stopped what we were doing and switched around a couple and put another house in that spot for them. We are hoping they have returned to nest as she has wanted bluebirds since we had the mini farm years ago. Way too busy up at the lake house and not enough area. She was very happy to see she finally has a chance to watch her favorite birds and enjoy them!! We are also adding 2 more bird houses today.

2. imacman

imacman

Had a nesting pair up in NY, and happy to see a pair down here. Frequent visitors to the birdbath.

PelletHound, bogieb, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  3. gbreda

gbreda

Burned last weekend and capped the exhaust and intake Tuesday night before the humidity comes in next few days. Done till fall......I think ;)

This morning AC went in.

Thats New England for ya. Latest burn and earliest AC all within 6 days of each other :picard:

Add that the older I get the more I say screw it-use the ac and heat so there's that side of it :p

PelletHound, BHags, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  4. gbreda

gbreda

X3

bogieb, wildwest and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  5. gbreda

gbreda

Did the annual "should I replace the ac units" dance this morning.

I have 2 8000 btu Maytag window units-one for the first floor that stays put in the window till fall and one for the bedroom that gets put in and removed as needed -I hate the noise and would rather have open windows than AC at night. Bedroom unit generally gets used only a few times a year in high humidity.

These units are probably 20 years old but once again, the downstairs unit went in the window and still blowing cold as can be. I know the new ones are lighter (easier to carry up from the basement in spring) and suppose to be more efficient but the old R12 units are still kicking azz so............

I my get a quieter one for the bedroom though, but until these stop working I dont see the need to replace with something that will likely break down for downstairs

PelletHound, bogieb, imacman and 2 others like this.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

We should get one up over there as well. So much to do!!

We brought the doggy over today to get her used to the place. She normally just stays inside(she's 15) But she was having so much fun she had to stay out with us! Wife did her green thumb with some roses and butterfly bushes. We got the other bird houses up. Had lunch under the shade tree and enjoyed the piece and quite!

Last pic is the bluebird male telling us to get out so they can get nest building! :)

IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thats awesome!! I've never seen on in real life, and to have them nesting at your new house!

8. bogieb

bogieb

If they are still doing their job, run them till they die is my motto. Well, as long as it isn't killing you to put them in place. I guess I can understand noise in the bedroom - that just isn't one of my considerations. Helps that I rarely sleep in the bedroom, so don't have one rattling in my ear. You can always sell that bedroom unit on CL if you get a newer one.

9. BHags

BHags

We have a big window ac that needs two people to move. The kids are gone now, so last winter I just left it in the window. I bought a cover for the outside, a cover for the inside, and used that 3m plastic shrink wrap stuff on the inside to close up any drafts. Last week, took all the covers off and cranked it up, no problems.

wildwest, PelletHound, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  10. gbreda

gbreda

Same here. As long as the older appliances still work-use em. The new ones wont work as well or as long.

Ive had these thoughts for the last five springs and same result. Keep the old units.

People say "new ones are more efficient". So I have to spend over 400 to gain maybe 50 a year in elect saving? That doesnt add up either.

wildwest, PelletHound, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  11. gbreda

gbreda

That is why I wouldnt consider anything bigger than 8K BTU.

My brother in Kingston installed 2 mini splits last year. Talked to him yesterday morning-just a flip of a switch for him now.

wildwest, PelletHound, BHags and 3 others like this.
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Got to get on the horn today to get the oil tank out of the ground! Insurance premium was bonkers because of it. See if I can get some quotes on it and See if I can get my bud to price the Electric panel. Get that scheduled as well! Upgraded to 200+ amps. Plus a better feed out to the garage. :makeitrain"

Moving more tools and cleaning supplies over to the house today. Need to get the deck off the John Deere because the center spindle is locking up and smoking the belt from all the abuse it took from mowing a hey field. I'll put the deck on the craftsman before the next mow and get parts ordered to get the Deere back in shape. New gator blades too!! :emptywallet:

Wife picked her spot for the veggie garden, I'll get that tilled and order some top soil tomorrow. Need to get me a sun hat so I don't need to sloop up with sun screen. Tired of getting that crap in my eyes when I sweat. Hope to get a brewski in here or there. Haven't had one since the day we closed on the house. Slacking in the wrong area's!! :headbang:

:tractor:

Dpopps, schoondog, wildwest and 6 others like this.
  13. scajjr2

scajjr2

Mini splits are something we've been looking at too. I wonder how long I can keep hauling bags of pellets in and lifting them up to fill the P43 as I get older. And as the main heat is electric baseboard, the mini splits would be a better alternative. Would probably replace the P43 with a small wood stove for if the power went out.

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2021
  14. gbreda

gbreda

Yeah, when he lived in Rowley, MA he went from wood stove to pellet stove and on the move to Kingston NH, to no stove.

As he has forced hot air in Kingston, the installing co suggested central AC, but he wanted the mini splits for supplemental heat in specific areas.

He had to retire from USPS a bit earlier than expected due to severe knee issues-that the USPS says was not due to walking his routes with stairs upon stairs (not a rural route) for over 20 years.........:loco: :crazy:

15. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I would like to do mini splits or geotherm in the shack, But not sure we have it let in the budget. Soon!!

:makeitrain"

wildwest, PelletHound, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

Third day in a row of over 90 (94 today). The poor window and portable A/Cs were knocking themselves out while the inside temps went as high as 79 (bedrooms). Mini split units were in by 4:30 yesterday afternoon and the place was cooled down to 70 (72 in the bedrooms) by 5:15. I was cold so set the temp up to 72. These things are so quiet! And, now there isn't a big temperature differential between sitting level and standing up (office area would be a difference of 5*).

I turned off the office head overnight as an experiment. Yep, glad I put an extra one in there as that room is running at 75 without the electronics going overnight. I'll turn it on shortly before I start work.

ttdberg, Dpopps, IHATEPROPANE and 5 others like this.
  17. gbreda

gbreda

What did you put in for mini splits? Brand, how many units outside and inside, BTU?

If I were to do them i dont know how they would run the inside piping if not on outside wall as there is no access to an attic space.

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Have to get a quote on this tree. looks like the emerald ash boring Beatle has infected it! :( Gardens tilled, Just a lil one this year. Soil tests came back clean but high in clay. So we are adding some loom and topsoil.

Had a couple of Ladies supervising while I was puttsin in da yaad. :D

20210607_163005.jpg 20210608_100218.jpg girls 1.jpg 20210608_101500.jpg

Dpopps, IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  19. Earl764

Earl764

That’s too bad about the tree.

When I go camping nearly all the wood is from eab ash trees.

20. scajjr2

scajjr2

Saw a truck at the bottom of our street , had Icon Telecommunications on the side, obviously a subcontractor for Consolidated Communications, this morning. Tech had a big black cable/tube with 3 white cables/tubes/? inside out on the ground. Not sure what he was actually doing (I'm guessing the Phase 3-Splicing) but it looks like work is progressing. Saw a couple CC vans in town too on my way to run errands.

sam