In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I got a score at 90* not sure what it is

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Canadian border VT, Jun 7, 2021.

  1. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    There’s a little wood dump about 3/4 of a mile down the road from me. Usually a bunch of yard debris and branches but as I Came back from a friends house I noticed there were some real wood!

    I picked up about seven of these Loads. Not sure what it is Definitely not a pine tree and pretty heavy. The ends all have a slight Yellowish tinge.
    1AB1953C-6C57-4AB0-96DD-1E9D17AA1E07.jpeg 476F6622-A0CB-40A9-9DBC-8B99EE6BF8ED.jpeg 5223DE2A-3573-41AD-AE85-86A68E9C94B1.jpeg

    There’s more but i took easy ones first!
     
  2. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Looks like fuzzy wood. Just kidding.

    A little hard to tell with the pics being blurred some. You are correct though it is not pine.
     
    M2theB, Chaz, EODMSgt and 10 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,882
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Maybe basswood based on the last pics bark. It looks like pine when cut. Texture is reminiscent of EWP too. Nice grab regardless.
     
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,751
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I was thinking the wood reminded me of some kind of conifer, bark not so much. I almost went with Larch/Tamarack but I think barkWHISPERer BRAD's got it with the Basswood.
     
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    Too heavy to be bass wood, try and get better pics in morning. I think camera might have had some moisture on it. Cause it’s hot out there
     
  6. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    I hope it's not poplar.
    not that there's anything wrong with that ...
     
    M2theB, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 8 others like this.
  7. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,751
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Maybe it's a sopping wet Eastern Cottonwood that's spewing moisture and clouding up your pictures.
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,882
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Bark in second pic reminded me of some i cut here couple years ago. Didnt know what i had at the time but FHC IDed it. My camera will fog sometimes too. IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4128.JPG
     
  9. Biddleman

    Biddleman

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,069
    Likes Received:
    24,193
    Location:
    River Hills of Pennsylvania
    Was going to say you know it's hot when the camera is sweating
     
  10. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    M2theB, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  11. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    I was quoting your post when I saw lol writing. Ok my kid needs to clean my phone
     
  12. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    When you take the camera, take better aim the next time you have to go.
     
  13. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    Geez I remembered to
    Bring the phone, take pictures and post them but my phones (read big sweaty hands) is dirty so I failed the photo quality portion of exam:eek::wacky::rofl: :lol:
     
  14. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,852
    Likes Received:
    121,366
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I don’t see poplar. Props to anyone working hard outside these days. It’s just ignorant hot. I’d hate to be a roofer.
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,882
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    How soon you cutting into it?
     
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,882
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Me too. Havent done much of it in the last several years. I was in the shade inside of the addition im building and still sweated profusely. Kept saying yesterday "dunno how i did it all those years" As the years pass i appreciate AC more and more! :dennis:
     
  17. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    Not the tulip poplar we have here.

    I said I did it a 90 BUT I did not say I was working hard;) drive tractor 3/4 mile; it was already cut about 8’, pry bar roll into bucket, chain it and throw it out back to deal with later
     
  18. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,635
    Likes Received:
    130,578
    Location:
    Vermont
    Couple weeks plenty to split and stack. Not happening until 5 am is cooler
     
  19. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Have you smelled it yet? I really don't know as it looks like a lot of things but I had a hunch on some elm type.
     
  20. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,840
    Likes Received:
    114,718
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    ....and tower oscillating fans, as well as ceiling fans. A little breeze helps to run the AC at lower temps.