In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No way, Norway

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Eric Wanderweg, Jun 2, 2021.

  1. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,786
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Norway Maple, right on the edge of my property line. The property next door belongs to the city water department and houses a pumping station. I've been slowly cutting back these invasive trees along the fence line since I moved in. Two loads of limbs this week alone I brought to the transfer station. This last tree in particular has been a thorn in my side. Situated behind my pool, I wanted to take it down before it started raining down its little helicopter samara seed pods. Not a large tree, but given the chance it wouldn't take long to get there. Today was the day. No city workers around, so I felled it quickly (onto the city's side) and cut it up as fast as I could. Threw all the branches and firewood onto my side. Raked up whatever mess was left on the lawn. I'll probably start bringing the limbs to the dump tomorrow, maybe about 3 loads. I hate these invasive trees. The native yellow birch still standing there will now have a chance to really sprawl out and produce a full canopy, now that its not competing for sunlight. As far as firewood goes, I got enough from the maple for a few days' burn. This was more of an arborist's job than it was about gaining more firewood.

    IMG_0346.jpg

    IMG_0347.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  2. ReelFaster

    ReelFaster

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2016
    Messages:
    2,879
    Likes Received:
    19,941
    Location:
    S.Jersey
    Nice quick work there.........:thumbs:
     
  3. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
  4. Chud

    Chud

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2020
    Messages:
    7,255
    Likes Received:
    54,053
    Location:
    NC
    I’m calling the city manager!:binoculars:


    Jk Keep on killing those invasives
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,435
    Location:
    Ct
    It’s Ct. it’s a lot like throwing tea in the harbor LOL
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,985
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nice job Eric! Those seeds are a pain. Do the charge you to get rid of yard waste?
     
  7. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,786
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Yeah the seeds go everywhere... I'll probably be on the lookout for new growth for years to come. The dump charges aren't too extravagant. On the 2 other trips I made in the little Colorado they averaged $5 each. The dump is less than 10 minutes from my house so not too bad.
     
  8. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,747
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    That’s a pretty fine line that I cross on occasion
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Still you had to get some good firewood from that tree.
     
  10. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,786
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Yeah, a small amount for the stove and some skinny sticks I’ll keep for using to stabilize a couple piles. It ended up being two trips to the dump today, loaded with brush. I probably could've gotten more firewood skinnies if I took the time to process it but it was easier to just dispose of everything. Besides, there is one larger Norway Maple in the woods along the property line that I intend on going after as well. There will be a lot more firewood in that one. Note: This species does split rather easily, and even the crotch section came apart without issue using the maul.
    A5E03724-B58E-47FE-927E-335DA887FD71.jpeg
    0B839AA3-C47B-486F-ACA8-104781ED18A3.jpeg
     
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,985
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I love splitting Norway. My favorite for that reason.
     
  12. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,786
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I was going to wait until late fall-winter to drop this other, larger Norway Maple along my property line but I had that nagging itch to cut in the heat today. This one was leaning slightly over a couple stacks and shading out both my firewood and the young sugar maples trying to get a foothold in the understory. Here’s what I’m keeping for firewood. The rest of the limbs I pitched into the woods to get composted. I’ll have to keep an eye out next spring for any new invasive maples popping up since this thing was already loaded with samaras.
    FBFAE9F2-436A-4F15-9986-C6A1C4E8CD62.jpeg
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,761
    Likes Received:
    214,985
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Sounds like you need some FHC ointment! Its all natural! :rofl: :lol:
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  14. SD Steve

    SD Steve

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2019
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    4,837
    Location:
    South Dakota
    I have a big Norway Maple in my backyard. I only tolerate it because it shades the house in summer.
    But yeah the seeds are the worst. The leaves are that big of a deal....but the ridiculous amount of seeds.......geez...
     
    Eric Wanderweg likes this.
  15. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I like splitting Norway maple. I like how it burns as well. Easy to split, fast to dry, burns nice and makes nice coals. I get the invasive part.
     
    MikeInMa and PA Mountain Man like this.
  16. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,786
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I haven’t burned it yet, but I’ll probably get around to this stuff in the winter of 2022-2023. There’s about a half acre of woods next to me that’s a nice mix of hickory, red oak and sugar maple. Also a couple large standing dead trees that provide plenty of habitat for the local wildlife. These Norways keep infiltrating the understory and outcompeting the young native saplings. As long as I live here, I’m going to play amateur forester and keep things in check.
     
  17. LordOfTheFlies

    LordOfTheFlies

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2019
    Messages:
    2,519
    Likes Received:
    12,101
    Location:
    NY
    I do that with black locust saplings. They pop up everywhere and I hit them with Roundup to kill 'em at the roots. The thorns on those saplings are murder!!