In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Asked to come back to work.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Mag Craft, May 29, 2021.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

That’s what they are paid.. shop labor rates start at $75 an hour

no one works for less than $20 that can tie shoes and show up every 3 weeks in a row. Really good one are $40. Manual tells time to fix

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Wow that is not bad pay.

3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My buddy Tommy said they charge $45 diagnose. 85% are fixed with fresh fuel, new plug and filter. He gets ones that doesn’t work on .

4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, I'd happily pay a good tech $40.00/hr flat rate. Shop rate is $90.00 & the shop can profit about $20.00 per hr after expenses as long as parts are here & we don't lose hoist time waiting. That's becoming an issue now.

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I think I am living in the wrong place. I could start a second career.
    You guys are opening my eyes.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    mat60, Sandhillbilly, M2theB and 7 others like this.
  6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm a commercial/Class A truck driver and I'm only making $25. An hour. Working part time. I made as much on unemployment.

My question is , who is it that makes enough money to buy all these brand new 50-80 thousand dollar pickups I see driving around ?

7. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

The banks. That's why you can get what amounts to a mortgage on those trucks.

8. Chud

Chud

Did you see that Ford received 44.5k reservations on the lightning in 48hrs? I feel the same. Truck prices have been out of my reach for a while. Somewhere wages must be higher.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Good for you...I think. For sure I found out in your 70's things get harder and physically it is mostly downhill.

10. Ron T

Ron T

Sickening isn't it....

11. Softwood

Softwood

Agreed.
    I know a LOT of people don't want to work or get their hands dirty but a LOT of employers don't want to pay people what they should. They just want to put the money in their own pocket and then complain that nobody wants to work (at their pathetic wages).

12. Horkn

Horkn

This is as big of a problem as the amount of people that would rather not work and make good money on unemployment. Combine these two issues and you have what we have now.

13. Locust Post

Locust Post

I am in and out of a lot of body shops and mechanical shops. Most are looking for techs. It is only getting worse. Back ordered parts all the time makes it even more challenging.

14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I hope they don't get a lot harder than what I'm going thru @ almost 61.
    I think I used up a lot of the life I had in me in my 50s. I didn't know How to slow down so I did all the stuff I did in my 30's and 40s . Plus I was long term very deficient in vitamin D in my body and it had a cumulative affect on me.
    At this point. I'm pretty good for and hour doing hard work. Then I gotta take a break. If I lost a hundred pounds. Or even 80 lbs I can maybe get some of that back.

15. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

To date there is only 1 thing sleepy joe has said that I agree with.
    If people make more money on unemployment than @ their job. Raise their pay!
    Most of the owners of businesses slurped up the Covid affected stimulus money that #45 made available.
    Then they want to squall like a cut cat about employees asking for more money. Or just Not going thru the bs of going back to work.
    I know the outfit I'm back working for got somewhere south of a half million.
    But they haven't given me a raise. And I make them good money.
    Kinda blanket blank heartless.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  16. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I am NOT going on a Rant this morning.
    Nope !
    It a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm going to enjoy my coffee and snoose and slowly wake up and go to church and have a good day. Yup. Not goin down the rant hole this morning !

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

X2. I cant understand why they pay that much for a driveway decoration. I work my cheapo 2WD PU and it shows. Its made a lot of money for me in 3 1/2 years.

18. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I just like the F350 that I have. Yes, I want to put a flatbed on it .
    Unless I was hotshot hauling or actually pulling a heavy trailer , I don't need all the expense. And my vanity tends to go in other avenues.
    I kinda gnash my teeth over the dum dums that get one all jacked up. Big fat tires then go get it all muddy doin stupid chit . And act like its a badge of honor that they have a filthy truck. Urbanites/Suburbanites.

19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The 60's started to slow me down but around 67 I think was a bigger change and as I get closer to 80 I find I really can't do much so just do what I can and pee on the rest. Needless to say, there is a lot that does not get done any more.

MikeInMa, Horkn, sirbuildalot and 7 others like this.
  20. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm pushing to get our home fully operational. Right now I'm building an electric fence for the dog lot. Keep the dog in and the wild things out. Then I need to get the temp kitchen functioning. Then get started on the 2 car garage so that will be done before winter gets here. Then back inside the house to interior frame and insulate the bedroom. To do those things I need about 3500 board feet of lumber. Which I need to log and mill. But I'm back working so I only have 3 days a week. I'm not young and spry any more.
    Who ever thot growing old would be so much work :cool: