In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Questions about shotguns

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by JackHammer, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Ron T

Ron T

I have 3 870's as well. 12,20,and 410...the 410 is a sweet piece.

2. Ron T

Ron T

Get yourself one that can take one of these!! 20210402_154652.jpg

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I suspected the .410 is well balanced that recoil is a reprieve from the 20. Unless that is also tamer than most 12s.

4. Ron T

Ron T

I think the 20 is the sweet spot.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I think you're right about that. I don't mind the 12, just wouldn't have the energy to deal with the recoil all day unless I stow a shoe heel pad in my shirt. But the 20 is very comfortable to accept the recoil and do multiple shots in a sitting. My Ithaca pump is sweet on me. I also got an ithaca semi in 20. Haven't shot that one yet but I'm gathering 20 gauge when I find it because it has a sweet spot. Not too much not too light. The guns are lighter and shooting ducks doesn't seem so overkill.

Ron T likes this.
  6. WESF

WESF

The new Benelli and Beretta autos (and likely some others) have stocks with modular recoil pads to adjust length, as well as shims at the stock head to adjust cast (side to side) and drop (up and down).

High end older shotguns were made to measure or bent to fit. Everyone else more or less made due with a set of standard dimensions.

If you're set on going with an autoloader, you'll need to decide between recoil operated (potentially more reliable in harsh conditions) and gas operated (lower recoil).

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    PA Mountain Man and JackHammer like this.
  7. JackHammer

JackHammer

In until recently, Ohio was a shotgun only state for deer hunting. Without a scope, how do you guys take long shots when you are in that scenario? Yes, get good at aiming but 1-200 yards is still pretty far without optics.

wildwest likes this.
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam

I bought my 870 express magnum (3" chamber) just over 20 years ago. That dang thing has run thousands and thousands of rounds and never had a hickup. It's killed countless moles and clay pigeons too. Even some ducks. It went underwater with me in the salt marshes of the puget sound one time and still no rust. You do need to oil your guns, maybe not everybody does that? Or clean them?

Anyway, it usually has a 20" short barrel with rifle sights for home defense and mole shooting. The factory 28" or whatever ribbed is fine for trap shooting but short barrels are nice for short men so that we can keep it out of the dirt easier. Yes, multiple barrels are very easy to swap. New barrels from remington are 100$ -200$. Rifled slugs are common and cheap.

Love that 870. It was only like 200$ when I bought it. It's only second favorite though after my pair of 10/22 rifles.

It's pretty fun to show up to the trap range with a well used 200$ 870 pump and outshoot the men with their 4000$ break action double barrel works of art. They sure are pretty.

9. JackHammer

JackHammer

In a way, I feel for those guys. Same thing goes with fishing, especially fly fishing. These guys go their whole life trying to do the right thing, making money so they can support their family, showing up to family reunions and vacations. Maybe they even got a divorce and have been paying out the nose for years. They would much rather be on the range having fun. Someone, sometime, somewhere, put the idea in their head that their job is to support everyone around them to the detriment of themselves. Maybe it makes them cold and hard to talk to. They don't take direction and maybe they have overbearing strong opinions.

They finally get enough money and time and stop listening to the anti-gun people in their life, that they can go to the range. They haven't put in the practice, time and effort, now they are shooting like 4th graders.

Highbeam- I am not saying that you haven't supported your loved ones but I think a lot of men get into a trap of not being able to live their lives until it is too late. I am really glad you were able to develop your skill. I am late to the party but everyone has to start somewhere. :)

FatBoy85 likes this.
  10. jrider

jrider

You don't.

Chaz, FatBoy85, Eckie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Eckie

Eckie

Oh my, what moles you must have........ o_O

:rofl: :lol:

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Preface my comment with I am pro gun and married a hunting fool and have not hunted in decades.... A shotgun does not sound humane compared to a heart or lung or whatever organ it is people aim for with a bullet.

13. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

You must be thinking about buck/bird shot. When most people are hunting big game with shotguns, they are using slugs. A 12 gauge shotgun slug is .72 caliber and a 20 gauge is .61 caliber, so both will do the job very nicely with good shot placement. Not practical for long distance hunting but basically a shotgun slug is just a big bullet.
    46-3.jpg

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you, yes, that is exactly what I was thinking (husbands goose gun). I appreciate the picture, that makes sense.

Chaz, FatBoy85, JackHammer and 2 others like this.
  15. jrider

jrider

If you’re talking about humane or pleasant ways to die, I wouldn’t think a lung shot would be one of them. The lungs fill up with blood till you drown....buckshot to the head and neck would be much more painless in my opinion.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm sorry, I don't know which organ is desired :emb: but instead repeating things I've heard before, likely he was talking about someone who screwed up or regretting something he did as a kid, I'm not into hunting anymore and don't listen intently like I used to.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  17. JackHammer

JackHammer

When I see shotgun pictures it seems like a lot of them have a trigger that is set very far back in the housing. When the gun is cocked, does the trigger move to a more central position?

18. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

No, not typically. Large opening in front of the actual trigger is for gloved hands in order to have room and not engage trigger while getting the finger on the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Chaz, JackHammer, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I believe this applies to my Ithacas. I've got two 37s and ones a Featherlite. Good for the fleece lined gloves for frosty mornings. Here's pic for reference. Both are 20s as well. 16221684236682933729259527261135.jpg

Chaz, WESF, huskihl and 3 others like this.
  20. chris

chris

My very first shotgun was a an Ithaca Pump 20 ga. Mod. choke. It was a present from Dad. Sadly it was stolen back in the mid 70's along with a lot of other items that never were seen again. ( home broken into and I lived right next door to the police station)