In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

More Wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jul 29, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Before I go after the Sugar up top, I plan on getting some smaller Sugar and this big Cherry.:saw:

    I'll use the pole saw to take down the Maples, that should make the Cherry drop.

    Some of the smaller stuff away from the Cherry looks like Sugar.
     

    Attached Files:

    Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  2. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I'm starting to think you have UFO's and aliens that continually knock down more trees for you.....you keep trying to tell us it's mother nature.
     
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Why are you so blesses with those half fallen trees that look like big rat traps! Be careful, that tree looks like it still has some rolling to do. How many years of wood do you have hoarded?
     
    Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Last May the big wind event kicked the crap out of that hill, we still have 5 or 6 nice size Cherry that are down just south of this one, I'll be starting on those in the spring of 2015.
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll be very careful. I think by the time I'm done cutting, around five years if not more.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  6. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You need another wood hobby, how about whittling?:whistle:
     
    Chvymn99 and thewoodlands like this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I could pick some mushrooms but I can't tell the good from the bad.
     

    Attached Files:

    HoneyFuzz and Backwoods Savage like this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Does using a chainsaw count?
    If it does, I think he's got it covered.:rofl: :lol:
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    I realize I'm not there so can't see the whole picture but can say that I believe I'd cut the cherry first. But best be careful.
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    In picture 9727 I cut the Maple first with the pole saw, then I cut one side of the Cherry with the pole saw, 1,2 & 3. Picture 9728 and 29 were done with the pole saw too, picture 9730 was done with the 660.

    I'll be heading back tomorrow with a sledgehammer to knock the rounds out in picture 9730, it's not what I had planned but it should workout just fine.
     

    Attached Files:

  11. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Those pieces in 9729 almost look too long or are you going to make 2 out of each ? Those kind take some time to fool with, but if it was easy everyone would do it.
     
  12. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    It's just a mushroom what's the worst that can happen.
     

    Attached Files:

    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We'll make two from those, I was just cutting it with the pole saw..... never thought about the length.
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Good stuff there. Easy does it, looks like it will get alittle tricky.....
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'll be at the base of it so I'll be fine, you never can tell, it might have come down last night.
     
    Well Seasoned and papadave like this.
  16. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    Looks like a LOT of wood your going to get out of the one cherry. :)
     
    HoneyFuzz and thewoodlands like this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    With the Cherry we already have cut along with this, I'm hoping we have two cord or more.

    We also have some nice Sugar Maple down in this same area, it's not huge but will still give us some nice fires.

    August looks like it will be a wet one for us in the Northeast so I'm not sure how much will get done.
     
  18. Fanatical1

    Fanatical1

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    Messages:
    2,688
    Likes Received:
    12,293
    Location:
    Ohio
    It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but that cherry looks like a little over a cord to me.... :yes:

    All straight, manageable, easy to split gravy too... :cool: and its cherry.... :)
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  19. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I knocked those two rounds out by the base of the tree tonight with a few good whacks with the sledgehammer, after that I zipped off a few rounds, about 16.

    I'll take tomorrow off an go back at it on Saturday if the weather permits. I'll get the small Maple in picture 9734 so the area is clean of tripping hazards, picture 9737 is a small Maple just up the hill that I never saw the other night.

    So far the top of the Cherry is staying put, I don't expect that to last but if it does, that's fine with me. I'll try some winching on Saturday with the smaller Cherry first, I'm hoping I can pull that out.
     

    Attached Files:

    Chvymn99, papadave and Fanatical1 like this.
  20. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,950
    Likes Received:
    52,503
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    Your gettin done Zap.
     
    thewoodlands likes this.